Video: Why I am seriously considering NOT renewing my carry permit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Traveling makes having a CC Permit a good idea but to each their own, another benefit is bypassing NICS checks when you buy a firearm . I clear in about 10 minutes when they call it in , but its nice to skip it with a CHL also .
This is false. All of it. No permit allows this in any state.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It is absolutely legal and it was written into the Brady Law as such . Some states won't allow it but many do including Oklahoma

Does a permit qualify as an alternative to a NICS check if the purchaser is using it to buy a type of firearm that is not covered by the permit?

Screenshot from 2023-01-14 19-52-39.png

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just checked the exemption list for ATF and apparently Oklahoma's CCW stop being honored in 2003 so scratch getting the permit for that reason . Currently half of all US states though do have CCW's which are accepted in lieu of NICS .

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just checked the exemption list for ATF and apparently Oklahoma's CCW stop being honored in 2003 so scratch getting the permit for that reason . Currently half of all US states though do have CCW's which are accepted in lieu of NICS .
That’s because Oklahoma has a 10 year CC permit.
NICS, only recognizes a 5 year.
The Oklahoma legislature needs to get off their butts and fix this.
I have a 10 year, but I’d gladly nullify it and allow substitution of a 5 year even if it cost me some $$.
We all need to contact OK2A and see if Don Spenser can get something going on this.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Idaho does as do several other states. When I was in Idaho: pick out gun, fill out 4473, pay the man, leave with gun. No background check with Idaho permit.

I still have a Utah non-resident permit. It's good in many states. Utah residents with a Utah permit can also forego the background check when buying a gun in Utah, but the firearm dealer has to verify the permit with Utah BCI.

When I was teaching carry classes in Colorado I always advised students not to mention their permit when stopped by officers unless the officer specifically asked if you were armed. And it was for this very reason. Some cops, especially younger ones, get all sideways at the mention of the word gun. There was no requirement in CO to volunteer that you were armed when contacted by LE.

My response if someone mentioned they had a permit/gun was usually, "Cool. What do you carry?"

devildog88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s because Oklahoma has a 10 year CC permit.
NICS, only recognizes a 5 year.
The Oklahoma legislature needs to get off their butts and fix this.
I have a 10 year, but I’d gladly nullify it and allow substitution of a 5 year even if it cost me some $$.
We all need to contact OK2A and see if Don Spenser can get something going on this.
I disagree and think you are going to wrong way. For most of us living in the state and not travelling outside much, I don't care what they think outside my state. If and when I go to another state, I will worry about it then on a case by case basis. We have other fish to fry that are way ahead of that on the list of things we need to do. We need to be pushing back against federal regulation at all and leave it to the states. They have already overstepped their bounds and are continuing down that path with braces, sbrs, suppressors, lead, etc. I think our number one priority should be trying to align our government with the constitution and the 2A in general as it was written rather than what they want it to be.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tend to push the speed limit and rightfully get stoped more often than anyone should. Never had a bad experience and truly believe my carry permit has saved me a bunch of tickets. One kinda funny..

Was on my way to Dallas, not thinking went through a small town a little fast. Hands on the wheel told officer I had a permit and have a weapon. He asked me whear it was, center console, asked for my DR. Well my wallet is in the console with the gun. We both kinda giggled, he said keep you speed down and have a good day.
This was the reason when I taught the SDA I would tell students to keep any paperwork an officer would ask for in a separate location from a firearm. Glad it went well for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom