Waiting tables is a lost art ... but since it makes for heavily discounted meals ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just for a little balance in the thread with a good service story, my wife and I went to a place we'd never been to last night and had really great service. It was at the Riverfront Grill in Jenks. The place is owned by the same group that owns Los Cabos which also has great service. The RG has a really good menu - I especially liked the Key Lime Pie.

HMT204

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to a local steak house about a year ago during a holiday. It was a Friday and there were 5 of us 2 couples and a friend. We were told the wait would be 45 minutes (okay the wait time would be the same or worse at any place). Well 50 minutes later our buzzer goes off and they call our name. We go in to get seated and get told they called the wrong name. A group of 6 that got there after we did got seated first (strike one). So I grab a toothpick off the hostess stand and a 17/18 year old kid says are you going to pay for that (WTF, strike two) He could see I was not happy and said he was just joking. They finally seat us and we wait 20 minuets to even get just drinks (we made sure to order dinner at the same time for fear of never getting the chance). We never see the waitress after that but do get our meals. We had to ask other wait staff to get refills etc (what are we up to strike 4?). Waitress finally comes back to take payment 2 credit cards and I am paying cash for ours. Waitress comes back with the credit cards to be signed and says have a good night. Our bill was around $49 and all I had was 20's so I gave her 60 expecting change. That was the last strike I asked for a manager asap. I explained the nights events and he offered to comp the table. I explained I did not want a comp. I wanted my change back so I could leave. That and I told him the service here was the worst I have ever had. I got my change and left no tip (non of us did). I was so mad I fired an email off to their corporate HQ. Well I got a free dinner for all in the mail and a sorry. I replied back stating I would never go back. What ( aka you aka corporate dont understand) my complaint is about the lack of customer service not the price of the food. Oh and the food was not so good as well (strike 10 ???)....

Sorry for the long story been there done that...

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have never been a waiter, and I don't ever want to be, but I guarantee, even my old fat a$$, could wait tables better than most of the service people that work in restaurants these days!

I have commented more than once, about starting a school for waitstaff.

I don't think these people get any training at all! It's the damnedest thing I have ever seen!

When you flag them down for a refill, they just look at you like, "What!, you expect me to actually do my job, and serve you?"

Then if you can find a manager, and let them know about the problem, they just give you the same look.

I have always been a big tipper, when I get good service, but nowadays I save a lot of money because good service is very difficult to find.

I blame the restaurant owners and mangers, for not making sure they have the training needed to do the job right.

JBHusted

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Little cafe in Agra (Cushing/Chandler area) that has wonderful service. . .at least it better have, since my wife owns it and she knows how much of a stickler I am on service!

The food, naturally, is equally spectacular. . .at least when Mrs. Husted is cooking. Oh, and homemade pie/cheesecake made twice a week.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Service is certainly a lost concept in the US, compared to 10 or 20 years ago.

It is so sad that the service has gone downhill the way that it has at most resturaunts. There are still some out there that will always blow me away with how great their service is, but there are times that I will set $8 in $1 bills on the table and remove one everytime we are ignored by the waiter or waitress, if asked what I am doing I let them know that its their tip, trust me this changes the service quickly.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
... I will set $8 in $1 bills on the table and remove one everytime we are ignored by the waiter or waitress, if asked what I am doing I let them know that its their tip, trust me this changes the service quickly.

I like that idea! I am going to try that one.:D

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Little cafe in Agra (Cushing/Chandler area) that has wonderful service. . .at least it better have, since my wife owns it and she knows how much of a stickler I am on service!

The food, naturally, is equally spectacular. . .at least when Mrs. Husted is cooking. Oh, and homemade pie/cheesecake made twice a week.

Please tell us more.

I am always looking for a good cafe. There aren't any cafes left in Shawnee, and the one in Meeker, (Bad Dawg), has new owners that ruined it.

I might just drive up with the family tomorrow to try it out.

What is the cafe name, address, hours, menu, etc.?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom