Wanting to start reloading...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely get the dillon 550 if you can afford it. However if you have a smaller budget, the Lee isn't as bad as you might think. And you'd likely never regret getting the lee and loading on it for a year then adding a progressive later. O actually have both the lee auto index turret and the dillon 550, in addition to two single stage presses, and I don't ever see myself getting rid of any of them. You could get into a complete lee setup for around $200, whereas a complete dillon setup would be closer to $750.

Oh, and to Shadowrider, I want to add the T7 to my group.

I am probably gonna start out with the Lee, mainly cause it is cheaper, and I don't wanna spend almost $1000 on a reloading set-up, since I've never done it and don't know if I will even enjoy it

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, and to Shadowrider, I want to add the T7 to my group.

You won't be sorry. DustinGaunder (sp?) helped me out answering some questions. They are tanks! And worth every single penny more you pay over all the others. catch them on sale, I got mine for under $300.

I also emailed Redding and they told me that Sierra bullets got one of their first ones. They finally broke it. Redding could have just sent them the parts to fix it, but they wanted it back to evaluate it. Sierra told them they had in excess of a million rounds on it!

:eek2:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a Lee turret press you can use it as a single stage then move up to the auto index once you got the process down. Your dies stay set up in the turret and you change the turrets when you change caliber. You can get the starter kit, and all the supplies your need for under $200 and be ready to go, then change out to better scales and stuff as time goes on. In single stage you maybe can get 50 or so an hour, In Index mode they say 200/hour but realistically more like 150 or so an hour.

This again. I use a Lee turret press too and have no problems at all. I highly recommend using it single stage until you are comfortable loading then switching to the auto index. I am a brass scrounger and you would not believe the number of rounds I pick up with no primer or no powder. Take it slow, get to know your equipment and what you are doing, then move up.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to go T7, but opted for the Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive instead. I've not used the L-n-L yet, but am still kind of wishing I'd have gone with the T7 - not because there's anything wrong with the L-n-L, but because I'm so OCD about loading that I really, really like doing batches. I just feel more comfortable that way. I'm sure I'll be able to go slow enough, and keep an eye on things with the Hornady....

Wanna buy a press? LOL!

Fitz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say get a single stage first. More time is taken reloading on a single stage than a progressive, but you will learn each step and what is involved. This should be your goal right now, not how many rounds you can pump out each hour. You can find older single stage presses for pretty cheap used that still work fine. I would start with reloading .40 cal first to learn the basics and not worry about the .223 yet. That way you will also see if you even like reloading. You probably will though. Get a reloading manual and read it. RCBS has a dvd on reloading that is pretty good, however it is also a big advertisement for their products. But the information is good. If you can find someone that reloads in your area that will let you watch and learn from him, this can be the fast track to learning the process.

And check back here from time to time. There have been some basic reloading classes members have given before, but I don't know if people have stopped doing this.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You won't be sorry. DustinGaunder (sp?) helped me out answering some questions. They are tanks! And worth every single penny more you pay over all the others. catch them on sale, I got mine for under $300.

I also emailed Redding and they told me that Sierra bullets got one of their first ones. They finally broke it. Redding could have just sent them the parts to fix it, but they wanted it back to evaluate it. Sierra told them they had in excess of a million rounds on it!

:eek2:

His is the one I've played with. Eventually I will get one. I just don't load enough rifle rounds (or precision reloads) now to justify spending the money when I already have 2 single stage presses, one of them a pretty nice one.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have got a reloading manual?
Have yor read it yet?
That's a good place to start.

Then shop around and look for bargains on equiptment.
Most of the stuff out there today will get the job done.
Some a little easier than others.
Just don't rush into anything, otherwise yours will be a bargain in the classifieds.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
First, go to H&H and get one of the reloading manuals if they have any left. I believe they were Sierra (?), and were last years edition, but that shouldn't be an issue. They were cheap, which is good.

About presses, I explained a lot in the FAQ thread, (which I need to do more work on), and look at this post for some more info on different presses.

reloading payout

This thread should pretty much answer your question.

To buy or not to buy

Latest posts

Top Bottom