Watches on the way to a wrist near you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busterheiney

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 435439
I have this on the way, I have a thing for these old timex watches. The M107 movement is a pita to work on but when running right they are solid time pieces if you do not mind adjusting time on occasion. Have one on the work bench that has a new mainspring waiting for me to have a moment when I am not busy.... Hunting and the Holidays getting into my watch time LOL.
Knowing nothing about watches other than how to use them, is this normal to have to adjust the time occasionally? I recently saw a video clip about a celebrity that was given a Rolex who took it to the shop because it got off a few minutes every few months and was told that's what they do. Guess I assumed for several G's they would be set and forget.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Knowing nothing about watches other than how to use them, is this normal to have to adjust the time occasionally? I recently saw a video clip about a celebrity that was given a Rolex who took it to the shop because it got off a few minutes every few months and was told that's what they do. Guess I assumed for several G's they would be set and forget.
Usually the higher end the watch, the better time it will keep. Not always, as people can tun a couple hundred dollar watch to keep plus or minus 2 seconds a day.

Most high end automatic watches only have a 1-5 second a day guarantee.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
What he said^^

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just buy a quartz. The cheapest $10 quartz watch will keep better time than a Rolex, but it's about the engineering and craftsmanship of the mechanics that does it for me though. That's worth a few seconds per day.

Back in the early days, 30 seconds a day in a single position was considered exceptional until the advent of the railroad standard of timekeeping (outside of the marine chronometer first invented to track longitude for sea travel). Now you have Spring Drive, which is the first real significant advancement in mechanical timekeeping since the co-axial escapement from George Daniels in 1974. You get quartz level accuracy, but driven mechanically and powered by a spring - no batteries. They advertise 1 second per day or less, and in most reviews you'll find it significantly less than 1 second per day. It took 28 years to get it from an idea to an actual production movement. Pretty interesting reading if you dig into it further.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom