What do we do after?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudpup

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
F16mickey said:
These Items should be automatic especially item 2 as this is something you could practice every time you draw/reholster. It would add the room you needed to print the lawyer's name and telephone number.
Knowing what you need to do. Planning for the worst that can happen is what carrying a weapon is all about.

Perhaps we should:
1.) What gun to carry.
2.) What ammo to load the gun with.
3.) What Attorney to call when the worst happens.

We all spend time with 1&2 but 3 may be just as important.

Training should be an on going process that starts before 1 and never ends.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, #1 and #2 *should* be things that are automatic, but in the throes of life and death, with an adrenaline charged body and brain, not to mention if you are wounded and possibly leaking, who can say that it will be automatic until you've experienced it. You may be on the phone to 911 before realizing (perhaps from reading the card while on the phone) that you haven't really looked to see if there are any other BG's to contend with. But at least you'd do it instead of forgetting altogether, same with ensuring thier weapon is out of reach. Plus, not everyone has received proper training outside of the range (but they definitely SHOULD), so their training stops when the trigger quits moving. Until they have gotten the proper training, that little card might be handy.

We all want to believe that we'll handle a situation such as this with calm and coolness, just as we've trained, but we are human, we make mistakes under no-stress, let alone extreme circumstances. I just want to try and cover all my bases, including little 'extras' for the extreme cases/situations.

The steps are there if you need them, we hope that we don't, just like any defensive tool. If you don't need the card at all, thats even better, don't download it or just leave it in your wallet, but for those that might, or don't know for sure, there it is. I was just trying to help. I took the time to make one for myself and thought I'd share it in case someone else might benefit from it also.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't the NRA have a legal department? Perhaps they might have some useful information regarding attorneys and actions to take in such situations.

If so then maybe pay your NRA dues should be on the card. Ha Ha

I also make it a rule that if I am out carrying concealed I am also carrying my cell phone. As mentioned earlier I want to be the one who calls 911 first. If the situation allowed I might even call them first. For example...we are inside store X which is being robbed by a man in jeans and grey sweatshirt with a pistol, we have retreated to the back or the store and I am armed should we have to defend ourselves. The robber is coming our direction BANG BANG BANG. The robber pointed his pistol towards me, I had to shoot him to protect my family. Please tell the officers where we are and please send an ambulance.

I'd leave out any celebratory yelling or any take that you @#$%&* comments. Then for fun I'd listen to CNN to see how they edit the tape to make me look like a crazed gun toting maniac.

mudpup

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
trade_sniper said:
We all want to believe that we'll handle a situation such as this with calm and coolness, just as we've trained, but we are human, we make mistakes under no-stress, let alone extreme circumstances. I just want to try and cover all my bases, including little 'extras' for the extreme cases/situations.
I think your little card idea is a good step in the right direction. Dealing with the decision, do I need, or not need, such a card is a step towards being ready for
tacmedic said:
...we are inside store X which is being robbed by a man in jeans and grey sweatshirt with a pistol, we have retreated to the back or the store and I am armed should we have to defend ourselves. The robber is coming our direction BANG BANG BANG. The robber pointed his pistol towards me, I had to shoot him to protect my family. Please tell the officers where we are and please send an ambulance.
I don't remember where I read it, But they said that you need to work this stuff thru in your head and some of the decisions made before hand.... am going to call 911, stand and wait..... am I going to come out shooting, then 911.... am I going out the fire exit and just hide?
I'll most likly soil my paints,then dial 911..

Last edited by a moderator:

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excellent points Mudpup.

1. It is very beneficial to think through potential scenarios before a real one happens. Like your own private war games in your mind. You could even turn some of them into scenarios practiced in training.

2. Strap on the gun, mags, cell phone, and Depends. :spitlaugh

AaronT

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
from ar15.com forum... http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=10&t=31513

Question, after shooting badguy, should you stay or leave.

"ETA: Just to expand on what AJ-IN-JAX said, LEOs aren’t specifically given time to compose themselves. Rather, immediately after being involved in a shooting, they go to the Emergency Room for 'emotional stress' or 'chest pain.' It would behoove you to follow their lead if need be. If you're being pressured for a statement, and for whatever reason your lawyer is not present/can't be reached, IMMEDIATELY indicate to them that you are in need of medical attention, be it chest pain, shortness of breath, hyperventilation, etc, and get transported to the ER. Any smart LEO would immediately stop interviewing you as any potentially incriminating statements you make can be attributed to being said under duress and/or under physical or mental hardship."

would this be a good idea/tactic to delay questioning here in oklahoma??

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't have to delay questioning b/c you don't have to answer questions until your lawyer is present. Search previous posts/threads on this subject and you will find good advise on what to say to the responding officers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom