What has caused all the earthquakes lately?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHat has caused all the quakes?

• Too many OSA members eating beans.

Votes: 26 22.0%
  • We suck all the oil out of the ground and now it's empty down there.

Votes: 21 17.8%
  • God's wrath is starting in the center of the US.

Votes: 24 20.3%
  • The Lib's want all us gun totin hellyuns to fall in a big sink hole.

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • JB is getting things in place for the new world order.

Votes: 42 35.6%

• Total voters

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are one of the ones claiming drilling and/or fracking, I seriously want to throat punch you.

Can drilling and/or fracking cause seismic events? Yes. Would you be able to notice them? NO.

Why?

Strata properties where you find CH4 or Oil is porous and spongy. ALWAYS. There is not enough energy release POSSIBLE to create anything above a 1 Richter.

We are smack dab in the middle of the Wichita Uplift and the Anadarko Basin...

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I anybody truly believes that drilling 6" to 9" hole in the ground to around 5000' depth and pumping a little water into it can cause an earthquake that can be felt from Kansas to Texas, I want some of what you are smoking!

Veggie's exactly right. There are far more wells in the western half of Oklahoma than the eastern half. And I won't even mention the Texas panhandle...

i am not saying that fracking is or is not the cause for these shakes. from what i hear they happen form time to time, but never amount to much, and are quickly forgotten. the omniplex had a whole room dedicated to the faults and shakes in okahoma, when i was a kid.

but, i do have to say that from what i understand fracking is not as simple and harmless as you detail in your words.

my organic chem instructor worked for dow and was contracted to a number of drilling operations of all kinds, and when he found ways to talk about his experiences in his lectures. some of his favorites were when he was in court providing his scientific findings on some resulting problems with fracking. mostly these include contamination of the ground water and such. the reason they frack wells is to increase production once they slow, or to boost production for wells which are in ground layers with qualities that basically encapsulate like a hard sponge, kind of like and oil ore if you can think of it like that, the substance is there, but it cant be sipped out because its so strongly held in its place by sediment and rock. so they find these creative ways of getting it out. fracking, they dont just pour some water down the hole and magically get more oil or gas or whatever they are after back out. they mostly use a thick hydrolic substance, some times on the consistency of a strong soap as he described it, then they force expansion in the "hole" using very strong hydrolic rams to increase the pressure and break the encapsulating sediment, and uh oh. what do you know, the damned well was close to someones water well, oops.

it sounds like a brutal method, and i could see it doing some structural damage to the ground in some areas, but not having a geology degree, i would tend to believe this would only be the case with very very shallow operations.

what if fracking and drilling for oil is the cause, does it really matter? nope. it is what it is. a bit of humor, our roads are already hailed as being crap, and now they get to be shook to pieces by the very ground they lay in, lol.

i know this crap is weird and everyone is looking to point fingers at why its happening, but was i the only person paying attention in public school? i mean we had several times when these people came to give presentations to us about oklahomas seismic activity. i mean we even had a drill for it in elementary, first they told us to hide under our desks, then a month later they quickly informed us to gtfo of the building. lol.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am not saying that fracking is or is not the cause for these shakes. from what i hear they happen form time to time, but never amount to much, and are quickly forgotten. the omniplex had a whole room dedicated to the faults and shakes in okahoma, when i was a kid.

but, i do have to say that from what i understand fracking is not as simple and harmless as you detail in your words.

my organic chem instructor worked for dow and was contracted to a number of drilling operations of all kinds, and when he found ways to talk about his experiences in his lectures. some of his favorites were when he was in court providing his scientific findings on some resulting problems with fracking. mostly these include contamination of the ground water and such. the reason they frack wells is to increase production once they slow, or to boost production for wells which are in ground layers with qualities that basically encapsulate like a hard sponge, kind of like and oil ore if you can think of it like that, the substance is there, but it cant be sipped out because its so strongly held in its place by sediment and rock. so they find these creative ways of getting it out. fracking, they dont just pour some water down the hole and magically get more oil or gas or whatever they are after back out. they mostly use a thick hydrolic substance, some times on the consistency of a strong soap as he described it, then they force expansion in the "hole" using very strong hydrolic rams to increase the pressure and break the encapsulating sediment, and uh oh. what do you know, the damned well was close to someones water well, oops.

it sounds like a brutal method, and i could see it doing some structural damage to the ground in some areas, but not having a geology degree, i would tend to believe this would only be the case with very very shallow operations.

what if fracking and drilling for oil is the cause, does it really matter? nope. it is what it is. a bit of humor, our roads are already hailed as being crap, and now they get to be shook to pieces by the very ground they lay in, lol.

i know this crap is weird and everyone is looking to point fingers at why its happening, but was i the only person paying attention in public school? i mean we had several times when these people came to give presentations to us about oklahomas seismic activity. i mean we even had a drill for it in elementary, first they told us to hide under our desks, then a month later they quickly informed us to gtfo of the building. lol.

As I stated, it would be impossible for fracking or drilling to be the cause of any seismic event above a 1.0. It all has to do with where oil and methane is found. It isnt found in dense hard rock strata. Its found in spongy porous strata. So if you want to fully understand... take 2 bricks and 2 sponges. Push the bricks together as hard as you can, and at the same time, push them in differing perpendicular directions, increasing perpendicular force until force overcomes friction and the bricks slip. Now do the same with the sponges... THIS IS WHY DRILLING CANNOT BE THE CAUSE OF ANYTHING OVER A VERY VERY SMALL QUAKE.

As for your professor... I seriously doubt his involvement in the process. Contamination directly from fracking would be no more than CH4 and dihydrogen monoxide (although you may have a point, dihydrogen monoxied has been linked to cell ruptures and mutations. Its also used in chemical weapons.). Most contamination, if any is going to come from open pit storage of the fracking substance. But dont fracking quote me,... I just fracking talk to hear my fracking self.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys ALL got it wrong.. The real cause is all the tunnels the damned Mexicans are digging under the border to smuggle coke and gardeners north of the border.

Latest posts

Top Bottom