What idioms of speech annoy you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can thank my old boss for this one. If you told him something that included the phrase “to be honest,” “to tell the truth,” or something similar, his immediate reply was “have you not been telling me the truth up ‘til now?”, and now that’s what I think when I hear that phrase. Even worse, I find myself editing those phrases out of my own speech and writing.

The one that gets me is “I feel that X is happening” or “I feel like this is what we should do.” Don’t tell me what you feel, tell me what you think, or, better yet, what you know.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I can thank my old boss for this one. If you told him something that included the phrase “to be honest,” “to tell the truth,” or something similar, his immediate reply was “have you not been telling me the truth up ‘til now?”, and now that’s what I think when I hear that phrase. Even worse, I find myself editing those phrases out of my own speech and writing.

The one that gets me is “I feel that X is happening” or “I feel like this is what we should do.” Don’t tell me what you feel, tell me what you think, or, better yet, what you know.
Well to be honest, I feel that you know what I think. [emoji16]

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see a lot of then instead of than.
I thought the term Baby Daddy was the stupidest thing I had ever heard, now it is used too common.
I agree. It isn't the kid's fault he was born out of wedlock. They named the kid the bastard when it is the parents that should be the bastards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom