What is the most acceptable caliber for pocket carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What caliber pocket gun do you carry?

• Total voters

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&W 642 .38 with Speer Gold Dots in front pocket.

Been considering a CW9 or G26 but don't know how easy pocket carry would be. Anyone do that?

A G26, IMO, would be VERY difficult to pocket carry. Way to bulky. I'm assuming the same for the CW9? Not sure on the Kahr, never owned one.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I've found a Kahr PM9 is about as large as I can pocket carry comfortably and without looking like Ive got a brick in my pocket. No way on the 26 for me. They do carry great IWB though.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
For deep concealment or pocket carry I prefer the 9mm +P. For normal inside the waistband carry I like .357 sig or 10mm.

+ 1 for me.

I really like the sig p238 design. I would like to see something like it in .22 Magnum.

With the .22 Magnum self defense ammo available now, I think it would be an excellent pocket gun.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bought a Ruger LCP for pocket carry for the summer months. Problem is that the pockets on my Wrangler's aren't designed for carrying much more than keys and coins. So I bought a IWB holster to get around that issue. And since I'm on the slender side I don't often wear a belt with my jeans resulting in my continuing to carry the LCP as my primary. I haven't carried my .45 or .357 in ages.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Comfort, concealability and effectiveness are different things. Like most people, I'm afraid I have let comfort and concealability win over effectiveness. I don't think you can beat an IWB holstered handgun carried on your hip - fastest speed of draw, more capacity and larger grip size for better accuracy under pressure.

ptp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find that the J frames are light enough for pocket carry and the round is effective enough, but the cylinder sticks out just a little more than I prefer. For that reason I would have to go with a single stack .380.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Currently, I am pocket carrying a Kahr PM9. As long as your pockets are not shallow it works great. The .380's and .32's are a little smaller but I just prefer a 9mm or my S&W MP360 with either .38s or .357s in it.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sig's new single stack 9mm P938 looks like an awesome pocket carry piece - 6+1, night sights, 16 ozs empty, ambi safety, 1911 styling. What more could you ask for?

sky king

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a pocket gun. I'll carry my little CZ-70 in a light nylon IWB holster when I'm traveling light. It's longer and heavier than your average .32 ACP pocket gun. It's all steel and has a 3.78 in. barrel and it's probably the most accurate handgun I have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom