What To Do When Pulled Over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got stopped at a random check point. I stopped, rolled down my window and as the officer breezed by my door he said "License and insurance" and continued to the back of my car, I presume to check my tag. I pulled out my DL and my CC permit and had them in my left hand. I was leaning over looking in my glovebox for my insurance. I didn't notice him walk back up as I was busy digging, but he says, "So, are you carrying?" And I say, "Actually it's in the trunk". He said "Well, that doesn't count". Then he says "By the way, next time, if you are actually carrying, you should tell the officer that you have a permit and you are carrying as soon as you come in contact with the officer". First off, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I needed to have a CCW permit in order to carry chamber loaded weapons in my car, even if they are in the trunk. So, technically, my loaded G22 in the trunk DID count. Second, I'm not sure at what point I was supposed to inform the officer. Should I have stuck my head out and yelled it to him as he's looking at my tag? I was intending to tell him as soon as he got back to my window, but he got back to my window and saw my CCW permit before I knew it.

Anyway, he wasn't rude or mean or anything and I just said yes sir, no sir, etc and went on my way. Any thoughts from the board?

spc13b

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They did say in ccw class you have to inform the officer but I personally don't see anything wrong with the way you done it. I would have probably done the same thing. I would have given him my permit with all the other info. Guess it just depends on the officer.

Jholmes

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The few times that I have been pulled over, I just handed them my DL and CCW. I did not say anything until I was asked where the gun was located.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'd informed the officer you had a permit and let him ask where the gun was before digging around anywhere in your car/truck. Had you had it in the glove box it could have went very bad before you had a chance to show your CCW.

Officer is it okay to get my insurance verfication in my glove box? I have a CCW permit would have been better. JMO

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I'd informed the officer you had a permit and let him ask where the gun was before digging around anywhere in your car/truck. Had you had it in the glove box it could have went very bad before you had a chance to show your CCW.

Officer is it okay to get my insurance verfication in my glove box? I have a CCW permit would have been better. JMO

But I knew it wasn't in the glove box...

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But I knew it wasn't in the glove box...

The question is he didn't. Would you like to walk up on something like that? I wouldn't that's my point you must view this from his viewpoint that's all. He must have seen your CCW permit in your hand.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my wife and I took our Concealed Carry class, we were informed that the FIRST words out of our mouths should be something to inform the officer that we had concealed carry. I choose to then mention where the weapon is located before I even give a normal greeting like "Good Morning."

21-1290-8

Quote in part:

"C. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop."

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my wife and I took our Concealed Carry class, we were informed that the FIRST words out of our mouths should be something to inform the officer that we had concealed carry. I choose to then mention where the weapon is located before I even give a normal greeting like "Good Morning."

21-1290-8

Quote in part:

"C. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop."

Mr. Miller....you are correct sir!! My cc instructor said the same thing. If you are approached on any kind of police buisness it better be the first words out of your mouth. And I'd rather tell them it's in the trunk and they say they don't care than not tell them and get jacked up for it.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The question is he didn't. Would you like to walk up on something like that? I wouldn't that's my point you must view this from his viewpoint that's all. He must have seen your CCW permit in your hand.

Obviously he saw my CC permit in my hand. And what do you mean walk up on something like that. You mean walk up on a normal looking guy in a nice car who rolled down his windows, took out his license like he was told and was looking for his insurance like he was told??? Again, there was no gun in the picture. Of course if I had the gun in the glove box, hadn't informed him and started digging through the glove box pulling out the gun that would be bad. That's not how it happened and since I knew there was no gun in the glove box there was no issue. If I had jumped out of my car, ran back to the truck and started digging around where the gun was, yeah, that would be a problem too. I was complying with the lawful orders as quickly as possible. In fact, by holding out the CCW permit where he could see it, I was informing the officer. There is nothing in the law that says you have to inform them verbally. What if I were mute?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is he to know after seeing your CC permit that you aren't reaching for your weapon in the glove box?

After all, he now knows you have a weapon, and whether you are clean-cut, in a nice car, etc makes no difference, considering that those kinds of people also commit crimes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom