What To Do When Pulled Over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-leblanc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very true, the best always is never assume they know anything about your weapon. (if you have one, where it is, loaded). Its just not worth risking losing your cc licence for 6 or more months.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is he to know after seeing your CC permit that you aren't reaching for your weapon in the glove box?

After all, he now knows you have a weapon, and whether you are clean-cut, in a nice car, etc makes no difference, considering that those kinds of people also commit crimes.

I didn't know he had seen my CCW permit. Even still, you make it sound like I flashed him a Concealed Carry badge, made sure he saw it, the started rifling through my glovebox. That's not how it went down.

As for how does he know that I'm not reaching for my weapon in the glovebox? Well, for that matter how does he know anyone he pulls over isn't reaching for their weapon in the glovebox? In fact, any reasonable person would obviously understand that CCW permit holders are going to be less likely to be a problem. Therefore, when he saw my permit, he would be able to know the odds of me reaching for a weapon are slim to none. In fact, I would wager that in the history of the earth there hasn't been one incidence where a CCW permit holder was stopped at a insurance checkpoint, voluntarily showed their driver's license and their weapons permit but then pulled out their weapon and started blazing. Seriously the odds of that have to be pretty much ZERO!!

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my wife and I took our Concealed Carry class, we were informed that the FIRST words out of our mouths should be something to inform the officer that we had concealed carry. I choose to then mention where the weapon is located before I even give a normal greeting like "Good Morning."

21-1290-8

Quote in part:

"C. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop."

Thank you!

This is the law. Follow it or don't post about not following it

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for me. I make it a regular practice that the first words out of my mouth are "OfficerI have a ccl and I am in possession of a concealed weapon." if I actually have a CCW on me. When I'm not packing I say nothing about my licence.
That way be both know what's going on and he can direct me how to proceed from there.
Once again this is Just for me. You can handle how you want and live with the consequences of those actions.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you!

This is the law. Follow it or don't post about not following it

Define when you first come in contact. Was it when I pulled up? Should I have stuck my head out from 100 yards away as I was slowing down? Hey! I have a CCL!!! Or was it when the officer approaches my window to talk to me. If it's the latter then I absolutely followed the law. As soon as he approached my window to speak with me and I was aware that he was there, he was informed of my license and my weapon and it's whereabouts.

I'm surprised no one has spoken up about the officer being incorrect about the law regarding loaded weapons. I guess I get roasted for not screaming at the guy as soon as he could hear me yet he gets a free pass for not knowing the law.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Something about when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging comes to mind.

The way I remember it taught in our class, you do not make a move until the officer knows that you first have a ccl and the second is to inform the officer where the gun is located. Just remember, do not move, do not go for your license, do not go for your insurance until the officer knows and instructs you further.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...walk up on a normal looking guy in a nice car...

We've established you're not physically deformed and you're not driving a beater. Congratulations, but that's irrelevant. It doesn't matter if you're Brad Pitt driving a shiny new Beemer or Al Franken in a Yugo, first contact is first contact.:rtfm:

I'm just sayin'...

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Define when you first come in contact. Was it when I pulled up? Should I have stuck my head out from 100 yards away as I was slowing down? Hey! I have a CCL!!! Or was it when the officer approaches my window to talk to me. If it's the latter then I absolutely followed the law. As soon as he approached my window to speak with me and I was aware that he was there, he was informed of my license and my weapon and it's whereabouts.

I'm surprised no one has spoken up about the officer being incorrect about the law regarding loaded weapons. I guess I get roasted for not screaming at the guy as soon as he could hear me yet he gets a free pass for not knowing the law.

I wasn't refering to you! He didn't give you the chance to tell him before he move on to the back of your car. I was referring to a post that was deleted that was advocating not telling him because he believe the stop was illegal.

You did everything right in my opinion

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't refering to you! He didn't give you the chance to tell him before he move on to the back of your car. I was referring to a post that was deleted that was advocating not telling him because he believe the stop was illegal.

You did everything right in my opinion

Okay. Thanks for the clarification.

I understand first contact is first contact, but when the officer flies by and doesn't give me a chance to respond, what am I supposed to do? I didn't know if he was maybe going back to check the car behind me or something??

Latest posts

Top Bottom