What To Do When Pulled Over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has spoken up about the officer being incorrect about the law regarding loaded weapons. I guess I get roasted for not screaming at the guy as soon as he could hear me yet he gets a free pass for not knowing the law.

The trooper didn't come here and ask for an opinion and didn't infringe upon your right to carry so I'm not sure what you're looking for the forum to say.

The simple solution would be to hand him the permit and D.L. just as you did and say "My gun is in the trunk" or "My gun is on my hip."

As far as whether or not he is correct about the law, there is certainly a point of contention given that in general a police officer cannot search your trunk without a) probable cause b) inventory of your vehicle before towing it.

To many officers, the trunk doesn't matter to them personally unless there is some reason to believe they need to look there.

As far as his "free pass" goes, unless you simply wish to criticize an LEO, why do you care what we say about him?

Michael Brown

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've established you're not physically deformed and you're not driving a beater. Congratulations, but that's irrelevant. It doesn't matter if you're Brad Pitt driving a shiny new Beemer or Al Franken in a Yugo, first contact is first contact.:rtfm:

I'm just sayin'...

Since an officers alertness level and threat level assessement is ever changing and is influenced by any number of factors, and since my post about my appearance and car were in direct response to a post about that, I would say it is extremely relevant.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something about when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging comes to mind.

The way I remember it taught in our class, you do not make a move until the officer knows that you first have a ccl and the second is to inform the officer where the gun is located. Just remember, do not move, do not go for your license, do not go for your insurance until the officer knows and instructs you further.

I started this thread from a hole. LOL! That's why I posted. I don't want to be on the wrong side of Johnny Law Dog even if it's because of interpretation.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The trooper didn't come here and ask for an opinion and didn't infringe upon your right to carry so I'm not sure what you're looking for the forum to say.

The simple solution would be to hand him the permit and D.L. just as you did and say "My gun is in the trunk" or "My gun is on my hip."

As far as whether or not he is correct about the law, there is certainly a point of contention given that in general a police officer cannot search your trunk without a) probable cause b) inventory of your vehicle before towing it.

To many officers, the trunk doesn't matter to them personally unless there is some reason to believe they need to look there.

As far as his "free pass" goes, unless you simply wish to criticize an LEO, why do you care what we say about him?

Michael Brown

I'm not wishing to criticize a LEO, just thought the board's lack of a response about that was interesting. He may have even meant "that doesn't count" as in, "that doesn't count as far as I'm concerned".

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my take on it. Since the officer did make contact with you prior to moving to the back of the vehicle (even though he was "breezing by") I would have gone ahead and said, "Just for your information, I do have a CCL and my firearm is in the trunk." He might have been walking by, but he did make contact and he could still hear you.

In terms of the not knowing the law. He already knew you had a CCL so there wasn't a question of legality. He asked if you were carrying and you said in the trunk. IMO he was wanting to know if the gun was on you/within reach for his safety. When he said, "That doesn't count," he was referring to the fact that you weren't carrying the weapon on your person. You weren't actually, physically carrying the gun...it wasn't a threat to his safety...therefore it didn't count.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My CCW related traffic stop went like this..

I had my hand on the window sill, SDAcard and DL in hand, hands on the window sill.
Officer started letting me off the hook with a warning about the local speed posting... I am sure he saw the cards. Basically it was ... "you know why I stopped you?" to "have a nice day" in about 30 seconds. I couldnt slip a word in edgewise.

I guess I should turn myself in, eh?

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Easy to see both sides of this one; personally, I plan to verbally tell the officer as I'm getting my DL and CCL out of my wallet. I don't plan to open my glove box until he says something----then I'll tell him--probably after telling him where my weapon is.

Don't think you necessarily did anything wrong---except the regulations do advise something different

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was trained that when an LEO pulls you over, your hands are on 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock on the steering wheel and the first thing out your mouth is that you have a conceal carry and permit and you wait for further directions from the officer and you don't pull your license and permit out first.

What you don't want is for you to reach for your license and CC permit in your pants and for the LEO to see your firearm print from under your shirt or holster or in any other place like the glove compartment, ect. You don't want any misunderstandings. As unlikely as you think a "misunderstanding" could happen, it does and can happen. Don't assume that just because you're a law abiding permit holder that the LEO knows or assumes that.

I know I have certainly had my share of "misunderstandings" with LEO, as well as my friends so I'm a bit biased.

Dbltap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang, beat me to it. Personally, I don't like getting drawn down on and pretty sure I'm allergic to lead so don't want to get shot either. I stop turn on all interior lights if at night both hands on wheel and don't dig for ANYTHING until telling that I have a loaded gun. Then follow their instructions. Usually worded like " before I get my DL and insurance, I need to let you know I have a loaded gun". Some wil ask where some just say don't use yours I won't use mine and some want you to keep hands up and get out. Whatever makes them happy makes me happy at this point. Stop might take a minute longer, well worth the extra time to avoid any misundertandings. Most will be really cool though as long as you are. And usually no ticket.

Latest posts

Top Bottom