What To Do When Pulled Over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was trained that when an LEO pulls you over, your hands are on 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock on the steering wheel and the first thing out your mouth is that you have a conceal carry and permit and you wait for further directions from the officer and you don't pull your license and permit out first.

What you don't want is for you to reach for your license and CC permit in your pants and for the LEO to see your firearm print from under your shirt or holster or in any other place like the glove compartment, ect. You don't want any misunderstandings. As unlikely as you think a "misunderstanding" could happen, it does and can happen. Don't assume that just because you're a law abiding permit holder that the LEO knows or assumes that.

I know I have certainly had my share of "misunderstandings" with LEO, as well as my friends so I'm a bit biased.

This is how I was taught and everybody else in the vehicle with me will have there hands on the dash or on top of the seat in front of them in plain veiw of the officer. This just makes everything easier for them, lets them be more comfortable with the stop. In the first pause after the officer greets me I inform them of my CCL and where it is. I have only had one problem with on officer and that was in texas. Everywhere in OK has been professional.

Come to think of it I've never gotten a ticket while carrying and when getting pulled over having everybodys hands in view. I think the officers appriciate us looking out for their and our safety.

nephets0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you did anything wrong. I probably would have answered him, politely, that I "started to, but you weren't at my window any longer". Some need to be reminded of how to play the game.

I usually hand my CCW permit and my license, with the permit on top and visible. At the same time, I usually state "I am armed".

They usually ask where it's at, and when I tell them the most I've gotten was, "Ok, just leave it there".

I've gotten pulled over by B.I.A. for expired tag (temp tag expired like 2 days earlier and i'd forgotten to get it changed), had my CCW Instructor friend with me, yeah, we both were asked to step out, hands on the car and disarmed.

course, they let us go with a warning about carrying on Indian land...

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I received a 5 minute butt chewing a few years ago for not telling an officer I was carrying. I was at QT getting some stuff and a police car pulled up when I walked out 1 officer went into the store and the other started talking to me about my bumper stickers. He was telling me how he liked some of them and where I got them and stuff like that it was far from official business when the other guy came out of the store and started talking about the same stuff with me well when we were about to part ways the higher ranking guy bumped into me and hit me right in the glock. He instantly goes was that a gun I know that can't be a gun because you didn't tell me that you were carrying he went on to tell me I needed to let an officer know that I am carrying no matter what the conversation is about. His partner was telling him to chill that it was not an issue but it all lasted about 5 minutes until they had a call they had to go on I still wonder how long that would have lasted it the radio call had not came in.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I received a 5 minute butt chewing a few years ago for not telling an officer I was carrying. I was at QT getting some stuff and a police car pulled up when I walked out 1 officer went into the store and the other started talking to me about my bumper stickers. He was telling me how he liked some of them and where I got them and stuff like that it was far from official business when the other guy came out of the store and started talking about the same stuff with me well when we were about to part ways the higher ranking guy bumped into me and hit me right in the glock. He instantly goes was that a gun I know that can't be a gun because you didn't tell me that you were carrying he went on to tell me I needed to let an officer know that I am carrying no matter what the conversation is about. His partner was telling him to chill that it was not an issue but it all lasted about 5 minutes until they had a call they had to go on I still wonder how long that would have lasted it the radio call had not came in.

It may have been polite in your situation, but not legally required.

If an officer initiates a conversation with me I will ask if it's considered official contact, had a city officer ask about the wifes GT once when I was getting gas and I asked is this considered official police contact if so I need to inform you of my permit since I am carrying a pistol, he blew it off, we talked cars for a minute all was good.

Maybe he was a car guy and really was interested in my wifes GT because he was thinking about getting one, or maybe there was a BOLO for a black mustang GT involved in a crime or, one that ran from a traffic stop or had been reported racing and driving recklessly in the area and hi interest and intent in striking up the conversation was to determine if he needed to check me out further.

I don't think I have ever had a casual conversation with an officer on the job, I have said hello or good morning and received a polite response in kind but generally I don't know of many officers who strike up random conversations with strangers.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If an officer initiates a conversation with me I will ask if it's considered official contact, had a city officer ask about the wifes GT once when I was getting gas and I asked is this considered official police contact if so I need to inform you of my permit since I am carrying a pistol, he blew it off, we talked cars for a minute all was good.

Maybe he was a car guy and really was interested in my wifes GT because he was thinking about getting one, or maybe there was a BOLO for a black mustang GT involved in a crime or, one that ran from a traffic stop or had been reported racing and driving recklessly in the area and hi interest and intent in striking up the conversation was to determine if he needed to check me out further.

I don't think I have ever had a casual conversation with an officer on the job, I have said hello or good morning and received a polite response in kind but generally I don't know of many officers who strike up random conversations with strangers.

We're just gathering a voice print of you for the "Black Files" for the day we join Obama's Brownshirts and look to round up all white male gun owners.:puppet2:

:rollingla

Michael Brown

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK how about this one.

You're in the back seat in a carload of you, your wife driving and her parents who aren't aware that CCW even exists. Pulled over for speeding. Wife talks to the officer and he takes her license and walks away. Do you roll down the window and interrupt while waving your licenses, "hey wait I gotta show you this".

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're just gathering a voice print of you for the "Black Files" for the day we join Obama's Brownshirts and look to round up all white male gun owners.:puppet2:

Michael Brown

Are you following me? Is this official electronic contact?

Wait how do you know I am a white male?

Are you following me for real?

I'm freaking out man....

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Are you following me? Is this official electronic contact?

Wait how do you know I am a white male?

Are you following me for real?

I'm freaking out man....

Hello, you've reached the Mental Health Hotline, please listen to the options:

If you're paranoid, we know who you are and what you want, please stay on the line while we trace your call.

Latest posts

Top Bottom