What To Do When Pulled Over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What Mike MEANT to say was if they asked you for ID, that's your sign it's "official". :P

Better to err on the side of caution is my motto... sometimes. Yeah I got MB's point, not a tinfoil hatter nor do I consider our officers to be jack booted thugs, just an observation that in general I have in all my years never attracted attention from law enforcement unless they were interested in something I may or may not have done.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's something to consider. What if an officer is talking to you because YOU called them? The law states that you must notify when a licensee "...first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop." If you call them for something it is none of these.

Bryan

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a suggestion, as a over 20 year vet police officer.

Put your hands on the steering wheel. When the officer walks up and asks for DL and Ins, say "I'm an armed CCW permit holder. Before I start reaching around for stuff, what would you like me to do?" Then sit patiently there until they come up to speed and direct you.

Most will, at that point, sort out where your firearm is. Most will simply ask you to not touch your firearm and go ahead and secure DL and Ins. It can get complicated slightly if your loaded handgun and Ins are both in the glove box.

A good answer might be "My handgun is on my right hip, my wallet is in my left hip pocket, and my Ins is in the glove box." All the while leaving hands on the steering wheel.

This was a bigger deal to officers right after the law passed, now they realize it is little threat to them, most are not going to get too excited about it. Most officers appreciate it when you show concern for their safety. Most appreciate you asking them how to proceed.

I usually thank CCW permit holders for taking their (and their families) safety seriously. I see CCW permit holders as part of society's solution, not part of the problem.

Persons uneducated on the issue usually tell me "People who want to carry guns are just looking for trouble". I point out that I bought a fire extinguisher at Wal-Mart and keep it in my pickup. Does that mean I'm secretly hoping to catch on fire?

Cell phone, Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Kit, Firearm........... It is all about safety.

I hope this helps.

Fiddy

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put your hands on the steering wheel. When the officer walks up and asks for DL and Ins, say "I'm an armed CCW permit holder. Before I start reaching around for stuff, what would you like me to do?" Then sit patiently there until they come up to speed and direct you.

Good advice. On the rare occasions I've had to do this, my first words were actually "Hello Officer; in accordance with state law, I just want to inform you that I have a valid Concealed Weapons License and that ... [then tell him where the gun is, etc.]."

No scientific evidence that this is a perfect approach or anything -- but personally, I like to have my first words be about complying with state law, rather than about "I'm armed" ... just one man's approach.

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I'm a little overly cautious, but I always start the conversation off a little bit different. Insteads of saying,"Officer, I have a CONCEALED Carry License," I say," Officer, I have a License for a Concealed Carry Handgun, and it is in <fill in the blank location>." It seems to go smoother with how the officer approaches the situation.

Dbltap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Most will, at that point, sort out where your firearm is. Most will simply ask you to not touch your firearm and go ahead and secure DL and Ins. It can get complicated slightly if your loaded handgun and Ins are both in the glove box.

A good answer might be "My handgun is on my right hip, my wallet is in my left hip pocket, and my Ins is in the glove box." All the while leaving hands on the steering wheel.

This was a bigger deal to officers right after the law passed, now they realize it is little threat to them, most are not going to get too excited about it. Most officers appreciate it when you show concern for their safety. Most appreciate you asking them how to proceed.

I usually thank CCW permit holders for taking their (and their families) safety seriously. I see CCW permit holders as part of society's solution, not part of the problem.

Persons uneducated on the issue usually tell me "People who want to carry guns are just looking for trouble". I point out that I bought a fire extinguisher at Wal-Mart and keep it in my pickup. Does that mean I'm secretly hoping to catch on fire?

Cell phone, Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Kit, Firearm........... It is all about safety.

I hope this helps.

Fiddy

Wish they'd make your comment a sticky! Sounds right on to me. Think lots of people could learn from it, cops and ccw holders and non-ccw holders.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

I hope this helps.

Fiddy

Wish they'd make your comment a sticky! Sounds right on to me. Think lots of people could learn from it, cops and ccw holders and non-ccw holders.

This is exactly what I do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom