What To Do When Pulled Over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neverjeg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone who has said to put your hands on the wheel, inform the officer, and then get their CCL has me baffled.

I've been stopped once. By the time the officer arrived at my window, the DL and CCL were in my hand, CCL on top, and hand out the window. He didn't have time to say boo before it was clearly visable.

During a traffic stop, you certainly have time to get your affairs in order.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah but it certainly dosent look good (to me anyway) when I come up on a car and some one is reaching around for stuff. I dont know this person or what their intentions are. As a 19 year veteran I say the advice given is sound. Most of my encounters I come up and I see their hands they inform me and we go on. I have never considered a CCW holder anything but someone else interested in protecting themselves. Never an enemy.

JEEPr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've noticed that no one seems to have considered the day the LEO has had. I know they're supposed to be professional at all times, but who knows what kind of jokers he's had to deal with already. We all have things that we deal with that affect our job performance. IMO if you get scolded by an LEO, just do the yes sir, no sir bit and be on your way. Just seems a little bit oversensitive.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone who has said to put your hands on the wheel, inform the officer, and then get their CCL has me baffled.

I've been stopped once. By the time the officer arrived at my window, the DL and CCL were in my hand, CCL on top, and hand out the window. He didn't have time to say boo before it was clearly visable.

During a traffic stop, you certainly have time to get your affairs in order.

I've never been told by an officer that I should have had my stuff ready when he got there; but I HAVE been told by multiple officers that I handled it well. So I will continue to do just as I have done in the past.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Notice the law about having to inform officers only applies to concealed HANDGUNS. The OP had a loaded RIFLE in his trunk, so he was under no legal duty to inform the cop in the first place. That was probably what the Hi Po meant when he said, "that doesn't count."

Discussions like this make me think about how much I look forward to the day we get all these BS concealed weapon laws repealed and make our laws like Vermont's, where you can go about armed in any way you please with no permission from or duty to tell anybody. Then we can stop worrying about how we plan on informing cops about things that are none of their damn business nor anybody else's, like whether we are bearing arms and where we are keeping them.

That law, besides being a major infringement on our liberty, is just patently ridiculous. It was passed in the name of so many other BS laws... "officer safety." Stupid F'n idiots... nobody who means an officer harm is going to tell him that he's carrying a gun. If I decide to follow that ridiculous law and tell a cop that I'm carrying, he should know that if I meant him harm, he would have been dead before he set foot out of his car.

Haha, one of my friends actually said that to a cop one time when he was pulled over with a bunch of guns in the truck. The way he tells it, the cop didn't take it too well! Maybe stick that one in the category of what NOT to say when you're telling a cop you are armed!

neverjeg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never been told by an officer that I should have had my stuff ready when he got there; but I HAVE been told by multiple officers that I handled it well. So I will continue to do just as I have done in the past.

Hey, I'm for what ever works. I only have 1 experience - guess I don't break the law has much as you. :bolt: Kidding of course about your "multiple officers".

It takes me about 10 seconds to pull the DL and CCL out of the pocket. Officer is still calling in plates and hasn't even gotten out of his car yet. So, I'm ready and don't have to worry with digging around. Granted, this only works for a traffic stop, but just seems to make sense. But, I was wrong once before, my wife says it was from 1989 to present.

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And if its night I usually will flip on the dome light and leave my hands on whe wheel. I have had multiple LEO's thank me for that practice. I have yet to have one even have any concern for where my firearm is after I tell them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom