What would you do in this situation…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Bought some topsoil on Monday and never dumped it out of my dump trailer. I shoveled some out into a wheelbarrow and spread it on Wednesday in my yard in a low spot but noticed some rocks so I stopped since I figured I’d need to screen the dirt if I did anymore.

Well today we got a ton of rain and it’s revealed how much rock is really in the soil I got. Should I call the guy I got it from and ask what the hell or should I build a screen and screen all of it.. had intentions of screening it anyways since I bought some hardware cloth yesterday to build a screen but man the amount of rock actually in this soil seems absolutely terrible. I will have a hard time believing top soil would have this much rock in it… I paid $85 for 3 yards, seemed like a reasonable price. First picture is what I spread on my yard. Yesterday it didn’t look like it had this much rock in it but after the rain we got it really revealed what was in the dirt. Next two pictures is the dirt in my trailer and you can see the large rocks and the smaller stuff.

IMG_0678.jpeg
IMG_0676.jpeg
IMG_0675.jpeg

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The time to complain is when he was loading it. You saw it go in the trailer.

Screen it - as you said you had planned anyway - and go on with your life. Buy material somewhere else next time.

To be honest it didn’t look bad as he was loading it. It was pretty dusty too so I had trouble seeing it real good.

And it didn’t look bad on my trailer till I started digging in the middle and now with it raining on top of it and washing the top of the dirt off it really showed the bad stuff.

Edit: I actually didn’t plan on screening it till I saw the small stuff. Big stuff is easy enough to get out. Then I saw it today and was thinking holy crap there’s not gonna be much soil left by the time I screen it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom