What would you do in this situation…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be honest it didn’t look bad as he was loading it. It was pretty dusty too so I had trouble seeing it real good.

And it didn’t look bad on my trailer till I started digging in the middle and now with it raining on top of it and washing the top of the dirt off it really showed the bad stuff.
I'm in this business, on the buying side, not the providing side. The time to beef is before it's loaded.

You can hook that trailer back up and go beef with the guy. Waste a few hours, shout at each other, get all hot and bothered, drive home pissed off with the dirt still in the trailer.

Or...

Screen it like you had planned. Don't go back to that guy again. Don't get all blood pressured up, dont waste 3 hours + fuel.

Save yourself some grief. Chalk it up to experience.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I'm in this business, on the buying side, not the providing side. The time to beef is before it's loaded.

You can hook that trailer back up and go beef with the guy. Waste a few hours, shout at each other, get all hot and bothered, drive home pissed off with the dirt still in the trailer.

Or...

Screen it like you had planned. Don't go back to that guy again. Don't get all blood pressured up, dont waste 3 hours + fuel.

Save yourself some grief. Chalk it up to experience.

I think you have the wrong idea on how big Guymon is. 🤣 The dirt place is across town but just down the street from me and the dude isn’t just some con man I don’t think. I’ll give him a call tomorrow, I mainly wanted to see what OSA thought on the dirt quality. I’ve heard people have to screen top soil before leveling their lawn I just didn’t know if this amount of rock is normal since I’ve never bought soil before that wasn’t in a bag.

And if it turns out tomorrow that he won’t let me return this and provide me some better soil then I’ll eat the $85 and I’ll go dump it back in his yard. Thank God I have a dump trailer and didn’t unload it or have him deliver it and dump it in my driveway.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought 10 yards or so of topsoil/garden soil mix from Minick Materials last year. I didn't have a single rock in it.

I would talk to him about it. He already dumped the load, I wouldn't expect a refund or discount or anything. But he might not be aware of the soil that he received from his supplier and may need to take care of it.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I bought 10 yards or so of topsoil/garden soil mix from Minick Materials last year. I didn't have a single rock in it.

I would talk to him about it. He already dumped the load, I wouldn't expect a refund or discount or anything. But he might not be aware of the soil that he received from his supplier and may need to take care of it.

I’ll update this tomorrow after I hear what he says.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to live with what happens but you can post his name on the internet as someone who you do not recommend. Nextdoor is a website I view on occasion but you may not have that accessible.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Top your lawn with rich mix or sandy loam, topsoil is for making bases or filling holes.
I’d just use it and chalk it up

I’m filling in holes to get my lawn more level. That’s why I wanted topsoil.

How would you screen the dirt? Shovel or do you have some sort of front end loader? Hopefully the latter. screening 3 yards is not done by hand very easy and quickly.

I bought a gorilla cart and was going to build a 2x4 frame with 1/4” hardware cloth (just small wire fence really) to screen the dirt. Was/Is going to be a lot of shoveling but the gorilla cart has a 12cu ft and up to 1600lbs capacity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom