What's a good deer hunting rifle??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my Browing A-Bolt for a deer gun. It is lightweight and in 25WSSM it is a deer slayer. Not a lot of factory offering on ammo for this thing, but .257 bullets are pretty abundant. I'm liking my 100gr SMKs right now. I know they say you aren't supposed to use a match bullet to hunt with, but I'm not sure the deer will mind. I've also shot 115gr Nosler Ballistic tips, they just didn't print well in my rifle with the few loads I've tried.

I'll throw up another vote for .243 as well. The two I'd consider to be the best deer cartridges are .243 and .308. Good short action cartridges and you can get ammo for them at WALMART. Ammo availability is important to me for a hunting gun. If I'm out of state on a hunting trip and I need bullets I want to be able to get them. I've always done spot and stalk hunting since I grew up in the panhandle so weight is also an important factor to me. I like a light rifle.

Browning A-Bolt, or Remington 700 would fit the bill quite nicely.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm carrying a .375 H&H this fall, both to annoy some friends of mine and to reduce meat loss (you can eat right up to the bullet hole with those big boomers). CB

holy jeeZus! a .375 in oklahoma? I like big bore guns too. This ought to piss off the Experts! And they say a .300win or .338 is too much gun...not quite, just gets the job done with no questions.

ray76

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the help. Can you guys recommend a good hunting scope in the 400 to 500 dollar range. Like specific models that you have used or know about?? I like Nikon products and Leupold. Thanks again.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the help. Can you guys recommend a good hunting scope in the 400 to 500 dollar range. Like specific models that you have used or know about?? I like Nikon products and Leupold. Thanks again.

Scopesnmore.com you can get a Zeiss 2.5X-8X for $359

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Madskillz talked me into (with his pictures!) a Marlin 30.30. I'm a newbie when it comes to deer hunting, but from what I understand that is sufficient for deer around Oklahoma. My dad has a Remington .270 that is very nice.

ai49.photobucket.com_albums_f284_kevinmichaeldick_3020269491_c950b0f3da_b.jpg

ray76

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Madskillz talked me into (with his pictures!) a Marlin 30.30. I'm a newbie when it comes to deer hunting, but from what I understand that is sufficient for deer around Oklahoma. My dad has a Remington .270 that is very nice.

Thanks, however I already got a rifle and now I need some info on scopes. I don't want to start another thread.

Latest posts

Top Bottom