What's A Good Starter 1911?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myappliancestore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Kimber pro tle rlii. I really like the look of it and so far 500 flawless rounds. I also need to start reloading. I also purchased a Kimber 22lr conversion kit and it is a blast to shoot and much cheaper. The conversion kit didn't like 26grain federal but no problems with 40 grain cci

Dwmckie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what did you get? Don't keep us in suspense, it is not good for us old fat guys lol.

I got a Springfield 1911 A1 Mil-Spec. I had also looked at a 1911 double stack, can't recall the maker, but the Springfield looked to be exactly what I wanted. Good thing I got it, because a couple of other folks were also looking for a basic 1911. Can't wait to get it out to the range. If there is one thing I could change, it would be to get some kind of rubberized grip panels. Other than that, I'd like to get a few hundred rounds through it before I consider any other adjustments.

Something kinda weird, though. It came with two 7-shot mags, and a simple OWB holster and mag holder. The holster is small, but it does have a adjustable tension bolt. The holster also has, strangely enough, what appears to be a Piccatinny rail. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Why a rail on a holster? The belt loops are solid and the trigger is covered, so it can't be to add an optic in case you need to fire with the gun in the holster.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow, and maybe you guys can figure out what the rail is for.

Dwmckie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As promised, here are a few pics of my Springfield.
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg
Here's a shot of the holster and magazine holder. On inspection, both have rails.
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You chose wisely, that's a good solid 1911 that is a great base should you ever want to modify it.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Para USA 14-45 for $655, NIB. I love it. Incredibly accurate, 14+1 capacity, great fit/finish. For the price, I think it can't be beat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom