What's A Good Starter 1911?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice pistol. Basic 1911 with better (than GI) sights. Now- Shoot the hell out of it. Don't let the hammer bite ya!

When new, some stock 1911's like to run a bit "wetter" than modern design pistols. Nothing fancy, wheel bearing grease or oil will do fine. As well, a light coating on all moving parts will assist with cleaning if you shoot wax lubed lead reloads.

Teach yourself how to detail strip and reassemble it. It's interesting to view the workings of a 100+ year old amazing design that's stood the test of time and if you get it really gucky, it's pretty easy to strip it down, wash with spray brake cleaner, scrub the Lead out of the bore, lube and reassemble.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that you just can't go wrong with an RIA, but don't think of it as a starter 1911. They are good guns.Period. I would also recommend Smith and Wesson 1911's. I have two and I love them.

This ^^^ They are good guns. Period.

Im sure that if you are shooting a high volume of shots day in and day out that the quality of metal will more than likely prove to be inferior to more $$$$ 1911s but for my measly 200-300 rounds through it a month (at best) it has been nothing but perfection. I got mine for about $425 and I never hesitate to recommend this gun for 1911 buyers on a budget.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know the OP has made his purchase, but I wanted to give my $0.02... I have an RIA Tactical Officer's model and a Ruger SR1911. I have shot many custom Colt 1911s and the RIA and Ruger shoot right there with them. I have never had any FTF or FTE with either of them. I'll admit, I only have about 500 rnds through the RIA and about 400 through the Ruger, but I am very pleased with both of them and won't be selling either any time soon, if ever.

My next 1911 purchase will be a Springfield Range Officer and I am excited for it. It will be a while before I'll be able to buy one, but I look forward to the day when it joins its cousins in my safe.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tactical had different sights and lighter trigger/hammer. Can't remember what the other differences are off the top of my head... To reiterate, I have the CS model, not the full-sized Govt so it breaks down completely different and functions a little different than other 1911s...

E-Rawk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
RIA tactical should also have skeletonized trigger and hammer, extended beavertail safety, ambidextrous safeties, and a full length guide rod.

The full length guide rod kinda stinks to field strip, however it can be done easily with a normal Bic pen.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tactical had different sights and lighter trigger/hammer. Can't remember what the other differences are off the top of my head... To reiterate, I have the CS model, not the full-sized Govt so it breaks down completely different and functions a little different than other 1911s...

If you check my sig there is a link to my grouping with my full size RIA Tactical. I would say the tactical is an amazing deal. It does have upgraded rear and front sights, skeleton trigger, ambi safeties, and beaver tail. I put a hogue wrap around grip on mine and im convince that a 1911 with that grip is the most comfortable a gun can feel in the hands.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had my Springfield Armory SS loaded for a couple of years now, and she's been flawless, she'll even feed empty cases.
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_Loaded.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom