What's on your hip right now...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any pics of it?

I have a S&W 19 that's a 4" and I've never found anything to comfortably carry it. I'm greatly interested in your thoughts and experiences with your setup. How long have you been carrying it? What position on your belt? Etc?

Here is a picture of the holster that I carry it in, but the revolver is a model 65 that I used to carry until I 'qualified' with my 681. The holster is actually for the L-frame.

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb144_p51mustang36_sw65ss.jpg

I have carried IWB for as long as I have been carrying. The first time I was living in the state of Washington and I carried for about 18 years and then I got transferred to Wichita almost 20 years ago. I was a PI for a little while before and after I retired from Boeing, and was able to carry 'on-call' so I did for about three or four years.
Carrying IWB is simply a matter of getting used to it. It is uncomfortable at first. It was for me. But I also found that it was the most concealing way to carry, and so I persisted and I am now so used to it that it feels strange to not carry that way.
I carry at 3 o'clock. A friend of mine insists that the one and only way to carry is at 4 to 4:30, but with all due respect, I find that for me, 3 o'clock is best.
Hope this helps at least some.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the holster that I carry it in, but the revolver is a model 65 that I used to carry until I 'qualified' with my 681. The holster is actually for the L-frame.

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb144_p51mustang36_sw65ss.jpg

I have carried IWB for as long as I have been carrying. The first time I was living in the state of Washington and I carried for about 18 years and then I got transferred to Wichita almost 20 years ago. I was a PI for a little while before and after I retired from Boeing, and was able to carry 'on-call' so I did for about three or four years.
Carrying IWB is simply a matter of getting used to it. It is uncomfortable at first. It was for me. But I also found that it was the most concealing way to carry, and so I persisted and I am now so used to it that it feels strange to not carry that way.
I carry at 3 o'clock. A friend of mine insists that the one and only way to carry is at 4 to 4:30, but with all due respect, I find that for me, 3 o'clock is best.
Hope this helps at least some.

Thanks for that. I normally carry at the 2 o'clock, which is excellent for snubs or compact/subcompact autos. It rams the barrel into my leg when I sit though, so maybe shifting it to 3 o'clock might work for IWB. The only way to comfortably carry a 4" K is in a shoulder holster that I've found. I'll have to it out. Maybe try to fabricate something myself out of leather or wonder-plastic. I think Don Hume might offer an IWB for a 4" K frame. Hmmm, now you have me thinking. :thumb:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I normally carry at the 2 o'clock, which is excellent for snubs or compact/subcompact autos. It rams the barrel into my leg when I sit though, so maybe shifting it to 3 o'clock might work for IWB. The only way to comfortably carry a 4" K is in a shoulder holster that I've found. I'll have to it out. Maybe try to fabricate something myself out of leather or wonder-plastic. I think Don Hume might offer an IWB for a 4" K frame. Hmmm, now you have me thinking. :thumb:

IF your planning on packing your 19 IWB, I would stay away from kydex as it will ruin your finish. Stainless Steel is OK but never blued guns. Stick with leather!!

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IF your planning on packing your 19 IWB, I would stay away from kydex as it will ruin your finish. Stainless Steel is OK but never blued guns. Stick with leather!!

Definitely!! The one disadvantage of kydex is that it tends to be extremely hard on the gun's finish.
One possibility, I suppose, is that of lining the inside of a kydex holster with suede to protect the gun's finish.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely!! The one disadvantage of kydex is that it tends to be extremely hard on the gun's finish.
One possibility, I suppose, is that of lining the inside of a kydex holster with suede to protect the gun's finish.

Probably could, but the adds even more thickness to an already thick pistol. I think leather would be the most practical.

How is nylon on finishes (like uncle mikes holsters)?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Probably could, but the adds even more thickness to an already thick pistol. I think leather would be the most practical.

How is nylon on finishes (like uncle mikes holsters)?

Even in its smoothest form its still somewhat abrasive. Stick with leather, and make sure you give her a good wiping down everyday. Your sweat and oils will get on the gun, and you'd be surprised just how quick she'll start to rust.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, I kinda hate to mention it, but it seems to me like the thread has kinda been hijacked--by us.

Sorry about that to GED.

Why doesn't one of us start another thread on this and the management might move these posts to that thread. Would that be possible?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Go ahead and start another thread, but don't worry about the posts here. Not hurting anything. I don't have mod privileges in this section, but if you want them moved, pm one of the mods from this section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom