What's Your Opinion On A Thumb Safety For CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Training!
Practice Practice Practice! Practice Practice Practice! Practice Practice Practice Practice! Practice Practice Practice! Practice Practice Practice!Practice Practice! Practice Practice Practice! Practice Practice Practice!
Practice Practice! Practice Practice Practice! Practice Practice Practice!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've personally seen even some of the most well trained 1911 shooters in the world muff a draw and have to remanipulate a control to make the gun go bang. While nothing is foolproof, some are more foolproof than others. :)

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine? I'm starting to not get hip on the idea... I'm thinking of moving to a DA/SA setup... Something with a decocker. Like the CZ P07.

The idea of draw and shoot without the need to disengage the safety is more appealing to me.

Any other non-safety or decocker guns you'd recommend for CCW? My preferred caliber is 9mm.

It is all in what you get used to and train for.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did just what Glocktogo said last idpa match, forgot to take the safety off one time. I shot the match and carry the same 3913 as he does, same here the safety is off when I carry, but it is a DA/SA pistol otherwise.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think both ( safety and de-cockers) are less than optimal, Like GTG said even very experienced shooters will fumble the safety on a 1911. and I cant tell you how many times I've seen students holster( or try to) a gun with out De-cocking it!! This is some of the reasons that the Glocks and M&P's have such a following.
A gun without "levers" will allow you to draw to the target and place your finger on the trigger when your sights are on target and then Remove your finger from the trigger when your sights are off target, and simply re-holster wile allways keeping your trigger finger high on the slide, well away from the trigger.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I shoot and train with several types of triggers and handguns, but Ive for the large part carried concealed with an M&P the past few years.

I cant remember the last time Ive buggered up a 1911 draw; although for my own benefit; I forget the bad things I do very quickly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom