When Your Youngest Child Gets Their Driver's License....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Way back when, getting your drivers license was a BIG deal,,,
Now I know two families with kids (one is 18 and the other is 19),,,
Who not only don't have their licenses don't seem to be in a hurry to get one.

I was shocked to find out the hoops a kid goes through to get one now,,,
Gone are the days of getting a learners permit at 15 1/2,,,
And going to the place and testing on turning 16.

Several friends of mine have gone the "driving school" route,,,
Where the kids get (sic) professional instruction,,,
And a fast track to the testing facility.

One friend said it took them 3 months just to secure a testing time,,,
Something about having to call a number at OHP,,,
Hoping to score one of the available slots.

Aarond

Do high schools even do Drivers Ed. anymore?

Aarond

Yeah, I have a cousin who is 34, he’s never driven a car nor has any desire to. Mommy still takes him places. I don’t understand it. But his mom is the POS who directly had a hand in my uncle dying, so there’s that. I remember going down to Galveston to clean up my grandmas stuff and get her estate in order after we moved her up here and into a nursing home. I knew my cousin was in Texas city, and I needed some help moving furniture. Even had a car he could have or I would donate it to a local church. He wanted nothing to do with helping, getting a car, or learning how to drive. Couldn’t even come out to help or catch up over a free dinner/beer, nor did he want to. I found all of this out on the same phone call. To say I was flabbergasted was an understatement.

20 years ago high schools had drivers Ed, but it was a summer deal. I think it was a 4 week deal where we all got our licenses or permits at the end.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20 years ago high schools had drivers Ed, but it was a summer deal. I think it was a 4 week deal where we all got our licenses or permits at the end.
40 years ago drivers ed was offered as a class at our school. Parents made it mandatory for me since it helped out with insurance costs quite a bit. It was during the school year and not summer. We'd have classroom stuff to read then 3 at a time would go with the teacher to drive around. Thought I was gonna die once with Keith driving - also never laughed so hard at someone stomping on the brake and trying to take over the steering from the right side(instructor)!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Do high schools even do Drivers Ed. anymore?

Aarond

Only during the summer. I had it as a class in HS. Folks are partial to the driving schools now because they can circumvent the OHP/DMV and the driving school will administer the driving test. Pass the test and head to the tag office and you're done. The only time the OHP/DMV is needed is for them to get their permit prior to the license.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my youngest got his license, I never received a single phone call from him for the first year. The second year, I received three over that year. All three were wrecks. :censored:

The last one I had to basically pay a drug dealer off so he wouldn't file an insurance claim on me because we would have definitely been cancelled. The others caused my rates to go up substantially. Gosh I was pi$$ed.

It wasn't liberating, that was when he graduated college and was off my insurance.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Way back when, getting your drivers license was a BIG deal,,,
Now I know two families with kids (one is 18 and the other is 19),,,
Who not only don't have their licenses don't seem to be in a hurry to get one.

I was shocked to find out the hoops a kid goes through to get one now,,,
Gone are the days of getting a learners permit at 15 1/2,,,
And going to the place and testing on turning 16.

Several friends of mine have gone the "driving school" route,,,
Where the kids get (sic) professional instruction,,,
And a fast track to the testing facility.

One friend said it took them 3 months just to secure a testing time,,,
Something about having to call a number at OHP,,,
Hoping to score one of the available slots.

Aarond

I don't get it. I couldn't wait to drive but a lot of kids today don't seem that interested.

Latest posts

Top Bottom