Which Progressive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, folks.
I still have time to make the decision, and in the meantime, I'm acquiring coomponentss like there's no tomorrow. I have oodles of small pistol primers, something like 10,000 bullets, something like 3,000-4,000 .38 special cases, some of them thirty years old but still serviceable, and about 2300 .38 special rounds that I loaded up on my Rockchucker.
One thing that the videos on the website pointed out that I need and don't have yet, is a good powder scale. Up to this time, I haven't needed one, because I have used an RCBS Li'l Dandy and you can't adjust the individual cylinders. But with an adjustable measure that will change. I wish that someone made a measure for progressive presses that used the cylinders like the Li'l Dandy.
One thing that I need is simplicity of operation, and it looks as though all of the ones that I have seen in the videos have that.
Anyway, like I say, I have plenty of time to make the decision.
Thanks for the help, and I'll let you know what I decide..

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Up to this time, I haven't needed one, because I have used an RCBS Li'l Dandy and you can't adjust the individual cylinders. But with an adjustable measure that will change. I wish that someone made a measure for progressive presses that used the cylinders like the Li'l Dandy.
One thing that I need is simplicity of operation, and it looks as though all of the ones that I have seen in the videos have that.
Anyway, like I say, I have plenty of time to make the decision.
Thanks for the help, and I'll let you know what I decide..

You are not absolutely stuck with a Dillon powder measure (at least not on the 550 or 650) I have heard of people using a Lee powder measure that uses a disk setup to measure powder although I have no earthly idea why a person would rather that unless they were extremely cheap and in that case I don't know why that person would own a Dillon

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a dillon SDB and a Dillon 650. If you are just going to reload one caliber, then the SDB is absolutely the way to go. I shoot about 250 rds of 9mm a week which is about 20 minutes of reloading time on the Dillon. I have loaded thousands of rounds without a hitch.

The Dillons are also great because of the warranty. When I bought my SDB, I got it used and one of the pieces was missing. I called Dillon to order the part...ready to pay for it....and it was sent out to me at no charge. If that is not a "no BS warranty" I dont know what is.

I cant recommend the Dillon enough.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Actually, if you just gotta have the part right now H&H stocks a smattering of Dillon stuff, I've never seen Hornady parts "stocked" anywhere, so I don't know about just driving over to the store to get press components.

Does anyone have the skinny on the support Dillon puts forth for the 1050? Is it the same no BS service they give on the other presses?

Mike you're gonna have to let that hate go buddy. Just shake it out, wooosaaa.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have the skinny on the support Dillon puts forth for the 1050? Is it the same no BS service they give on the other presses?

I think the 1050 comes with a year warranty. It is considered a commercial reloading press and does not have the lifetime warranty like the non-commercial presses (650, 550, SDB). Dillon will provide support, but it likely will not be free after the first year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom