Which Progressive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As soon as I lose sufficient weight, I plan to reward myself by getting a progressive reloading press, so I'll be in the market for one sometime in the next few months. Any thoughts on which one I should get?
I am inclined towards the Dillon Square Deal since 95% of my reloading will be for .38 special and I'll still have my Rockchucker for the other calibers that I reload for, so while versatility is a big plus for some of you, it is not that big of a deal for me since I plan to keep my Rockchucker for non-.38 loading.
Besides that, adjudsting the powder measure is such a PITA, and once I get it set, I plan on keeping it there.
I throw the floor open for discussion.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if the Square Deal is the same powder meter as my 550, but if I was buying new I'd at the very least buy a different meter just for the reason you said.

But, if I was buying new I would be looking seriously at the Hornady LnL. I haven't owned one, but the reading I've done it has some advantages over the Dillon.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the LnL should be compared to the dillon 650.
And if so, price aside, the 650 wins hands down.

If I had to choose between a 550 and the LnL; it would be harder, but I would probably lean toward the slower rate of loading and get a 550.

Yes I have owned both, yes, there are folks that are very happy with their LnL.
I now own a 650 only.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a Dillon, but do have a Hornady LNL. I check every 5th round, and it never has to be changed as long as I keep the powder tube 3/4 full. Rock solid.
If it gets toward 1/2 full it will change, but My RCBS powder dispenser does that too, and with the way that all the powder dispensers drop powder, I don't see how they can be any different.
I load 6 different cartidges from .45ACP to 30-06, and it takes about 5 minutes or less to change calibers. It takes another minute or two to set the powder measure weight unless you have one dedicated to the caliber. I have two powder measures set to my favorite loads in .45ACP and .223. The rest have to be tuned.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
adjudsting the powder measure is such a PITA, and once I get it set, I plan on keeping it there.
I throw the floor open for discussion.
You still plan on checking your drops at incremental times right? How many rounds do you shoot a week/month? do you have a budget?

RetCapt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any thoughts on which one I should get?
I am inclined towards the Dillon Square Deal

I have a Dillon 650 and I can vouch for the quality of this machine. I've had it for many years with only minor problems (usually my adjustment errors!). Dillon is famous for their customer support, so that might be a factor for you to consider.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If all you ever want to load is pistol ammo then go for the square deal. I personally, will not consider a progressive without auto indexing, give serious looks at both the LNL and the 650.

One thing to consider, I "think" the 650's first station is in an akward place to use without a casefeeder.

I love my hornady's, but I have been thinking about upgrading to a 1050.

One thing to add, I have needed two parts due to breakage, they were both my fault. Both times Hornady sent me new parts at no charge. I have had nothing but stellar service from Hornady.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you truely are convinced you'll only load one cartrige I would think the SDB would be great. If you think you even might reload a second cartige in the future I confidently vouch for the LNL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom