Which Progressive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't really like it at first, but I've found that being able to use the 550 as a single stage is nice. I much prefer the priming system of the Dillon 550 over the Lee turret, and being able to insert one shell at a time is nice with the 550.

SteveD2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have (and love) the LnL AP. Use it for .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9mm, and .223 Rem. Am soon going to be loading 30-06 and .357mag/.38spl on it as well. Very high quality piece of gear. I looked at the Dillons but decided to go with the LnL...happy I did and would do it again. I have not had a need to "interact" with their customer service dept as I have not had any problems, but as mentioned above, others are happy. Others will jump in now with MY whatever can do (insert larger number here), but I just loaded 225 .45 rounds in about 50 min. without trying to be fast and picking up 200 primers. If I got everything prep'd and just wanted to crank out rounds, I could easily do many more. Powder measure stays right on and is easy to adjust for different rounds/loads (I dial it in, run and dump 10 rounds, check load, start loading and check the 10th and 20th just to make sure...because I'm anal retentive). Takes less than 5 min to get it set, run/dump 10 and check to confirm. Hornady also offers a micronometer insert (for pistol powder) which allows you to immediately reset to a specific charge (you have still have to do the measure, etc., to determine what setting/powder combo will give you a certain charge; but once you've done that once, that same setting/powder combination will always give you the same charge). I don't have one and don't know if I'll spring for one because it works great with the provided insert. Changing dies takes about a minute.

Dillon 550 and LnL AP will run you about the same money. 650 will set you back about another $130 ish. 550 is not an AP like the LnL and 650.

I can't speak much to other brands, but a friend of mine has a Lee Turret which he's happy with.

Make sure to do your own research and compare features with your preferences and budget. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier with mine.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'm only shooting 9mm luger and have no plans to switch that in the future. I don't own a rifle and don't expect to, but if I ever do, I doubt i will shoot it much. I do not hunt.

I want to reload 9mm for practice and shooting competitions. My EDC is a 9mm and my comp gun is a 9mm. My next EDC gun will be a 9mm. :-)

I've never reloaded although an OSA member is going to show me the ropes tonight and I might take the class at H&H on Dec. 29th.

Now.. which press should I get?

Thanks!

B

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
FWW, I just bought a Dillon 550b. It is easier to change calibers with that rather than a Square Deal, it is a little more expensive but shooting sports are not cheap. I am in the market right now but a single stage press for my 6.5 mm swede mauser but I am already looking for a 7.5 mm K31 Swiss. So go figure. But if you are planning on shooting pistol ammunition and want lots of it, go with a Dillon, you won't be sorry.

Good luck, be safe and use your head while reloading ok?

Mark

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi gerhard1,

I began with a SDB and then got out of reloading for awhile, then picked up a 550. I found the SDB was a fine press, but it is a little cramped for space and uses proprietary dies. If you have smaller fingers probably not a big deal, but I could see someone with bigger fingers getting annoyed with a SDB. When comparing the two, SDB has auto indexing and the 550 has standard die support. I would pick one based on which feature is more important to you. I went 550 and have been very happy with that choice. One thing I really love about the 550 is that it is pure simplicity. Everything is as simple as I could imagine and it just works and works. I really like the primer system on the 550.

Good luck,

Alan
www.pressmonitordevice.com

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never hesitate to go Blue! I have seen most all progressives, and used a good amount of them and nothing beat Dillon. Of all their presses the 650 is the king for the casuall reloader. With a case feeder it is reall easy to turn out 700-800 premium bullets an hour. Customer backing second to none and it takes about 10 minutes to change between calibers.

Before I got an ammo sponsore I loaded ALL my ammo on a 650, and still load ALOT on the 650 I have. I am well over 350,000 rounds on the one I got in 92, and while it has broken a small part or two Dillon still sends me parts as soon as I call them. In 2005 I had a small part break and had to send them the whole press. It seems that the one I had was a very early version. In 1 week I got back a whole BRAND NEW press as they said we don't make that piece anymore, so here is a whole new set up. The total cost???? NOTHING!!!

GO BLUE!!!! KurtM

fltmedic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my LNL and the free bullets are a big plus. You have to look at the ability to get parts for a Dillion you cant just go to a outdoors store and pick them up like you can a Hornady. Plus the heads are a pain. I had a Dillion and parted with it last year for my Hornady and have never regretted it. Hornadys customer service is also top notch.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep it is a real pain to get parts over nighted to you, rather than drive somewhere! and I must admit it really sucks to have to pull two pins to swap a whole top end assembly.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You forgot the ten seconds it takes to undo the powder measure linkage...
If 500 or even 1000 free bullets is any real incentive to go with a LnL over a Dillon 650, then you aren't planning on using the full potential of a progressive in terms of making it pay for itself in lieu of factory ammo bought.
I never thought to check out Ace when the drive hub snapped on the LnL I briefly had. Stupid me; I had to wait until hornady completed a run of non-defective hubs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom