Who has a .460 Weatherby Magnum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do load light loads in my big guns for basically two reasons: 1) I just want to go play without breaking the bank and my shoulder; 2) to get some other folks to shoot it who would never dream of shooting such a 'big gun' full power load. I love to see the looks on their faces!

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first big bore rifle I owned was a an old 98 Mauser that the gunsmith re-barreled to .458 Win mag and it was pretty light weight with a Ram Line synthetic stock. It had a 3x9 scope on it and the first time I shot it was off hand with 500gr factory loads and it wasn't as bad as I thought so I made a mistake and sat down at the bench and shot it, well the scope hit me between the eyes and the bridge of my nose and swelled up so needless to say I sent that one down the road. It was the worst kicking gun I have fired besides a Marlin guide gun in .457 Wild West magnum which is a lengthened .45-70 and loaded really hot. Those lever guns are just plain brutal because the stocks suck and there light.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.460 Weatherby isn't bad. I had one and even my son at 14 didn't have a problem with the recoil. Which brings me to a story.

When my son was a young kidlet, I decided to show him that recoil really wasn't nothing to fret about. So, I took up a double barrel 12 gauge, stood up, placed it against my crotch, and pulled the triggers. I should have fired just one barrel. I really, REALLY should have fired just one barrel at a time. It took a bit for the tears and cursing to stop, and when I managing to uncurl from that fetal position my son seemed less than impressed. That was one of my, somewhat frequent, less-than-shining moments.
"Kidlet" is my new favorite word. Thank you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom