Why are so many people so dead set against thumb safety's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the gun design if I prefer a thumb safety or not. I wouldn't dream of carrying a single action auto in condition 1 without the thumb safety engaged. Whereas it's a different story on a DA auto. IMO, that's one of the desirable features of the Glock safe action.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The biggest issue I've seen with safeties is the ability or inability of the shooter to put in enough training to where it becomes second nature to operate the safety. For those the XD's, Glocks, and other such guns are better, yet that also doesn't mean they are any safer. In my years I've seen somethings that will have most folks diving for cover. I for one prefer a manual safety or DA/SA type gun with some type of decocker, I also prefer a thumb break holster to an open holster. Thats me, an my opinion.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm comfortable with both but for a semi auto I prefer a thumb safety. Just a little extra security while carrying.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would propose that people who "don't put in the training" to become familiar with a thumb safety sure don't put in the time to become good with a "trigger safety" either.

If you are taught a proper presentation, you will always be able to take the thumb safety off, as it is trained properly to keep your thumb on top of said safety at all times. If you are knocking your safety back on during shooting you haven't been trained properly..as your thumb should ALWAYS be on top of the safety! KurtM

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would propose that people who "don't put in the training" to become familiar with a thumb safety sure don't put in the time to become good with a "trigger safety" either.

If you are taught a proper presentation, you will always be able to take the thumb safety off, as it is trained properly to keep your thumb on top of said safety at all times. If you are knocking your safety back on during shooting you haven't been trained properly..as your thumb should ALWAYS be on top of the safety! KurtM

This is how I was taught to shoot a 1911. Use the safety as a thumb rest. My thumb goes to the top of the safety naturally & without thought. The only time I have to move my thumb is to put it back on safe.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
It would depend on the gun. As mentioned earlier, if the gun is designed with a thumb safety, then I would want it there. If the gun is designed without it, then I wouldn't want one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom