Why are so many people so dead set against thumb safety's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer no thumb safety, just one more thing that could go wrong. I don't dislike thumb safeties, I have guns with them but for carry no thumb safeties for me!

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is how I was taught to shoot a 1911. Use the safety as a thumb rest. My thumb goes to the top of the safety naturally & without thought. The only time I have to move my thumb is to put it back on safe.

This is it exactly. Plus, the single action trigger is just going to be more accurate for most people.

My Kimber CDP is coffee can accurate at fifty yards.
In my hands the Glock is barely five gallon bucket accurate at the same distance.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would depend on the gun. As mentioned earlier, if the gun is designed with a thumb safety, then I would want it there. If the gun is designed without it, then I wouldn't want one.

This.

Anyone who REQUIRES a thumb safety or doesn't feel comfortable WITH a thumb safety isn't competent yet.

Get competent and fight with whatever tool is at hand.

Michael Brown

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would propose that people who "don't put in the training" to become familiar with a thumb safety sure don't put in the time to become good with a "trigger safety" either.

Well, I wouldn't be so hasty to call people lazy or careless without considering other possibilities.
Revolver shooters often prefer to stick to a similar manual of arms on a semi-auto they buy for simplicity (KISS).
Others can comfortably switch between a model 686 and 1911, and carry a Kahr or 442 when they choose.

The people that give me hives are those that buy a 1911 and decide to carry in condition two to avoid the safety, or anyone who carries a Glock (or any gun for that matter) loose in a pocket. Add the people who cannot touch a gun without putting their finger on the trigger.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the most industrious people I know are mediocre shots at best, so I wouldn't think of them as lazy. What I am saying is most people don't put in the time to learn any system well, and those that think a safety will be forgotten or will be bumped back on under stress are making my point for me much better than I can.

I agree with a couple of people That rule # 3 is the ultimate safety(I prefer using another finger for a safety...index finger), but in the context of this topic it has to do with mechanic of the firearm not the mind-set of the operator, so while your comments are true they don't belong in a mechanical discussion

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with a couple of people That rule # 3 is the ultimate safety(I prefer using another finger for a safety...index finger), but in the context of this topic it has to do with mechanic of the firearm not the mind-set of the operator, so while your comments are true they don't belong in a mechanical discussion

If the OP is asking "why", I'd say it's not just a mechanical discussion but a question of people do what they do or believe what they believe.

If the physical mechanism is the only issue, then the question is simple IMO.

The "why" is the relevent issue from what I gather of the original post.

Michael Brown

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's just a matter of muscle memory and training. With the proper training, you're not going to forget to take the safety off because it's not something you think about, you naturally do it as you draw the pistol. I started off with 1911s and even now, when I draw a Sig or Glock, I naturally sweep the side where a thumb safety would be.

Basically if you train properly, a manual safety is not an issue. If you aren't going to train consistently with a manual safety you're probably better off with DA or Safe Action type pistol.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"people do what they do or believe what they believe."

And with that thought, the whole discussion is pointless. If you believe a manual safety will get in the way, or get knocked back on, then nothing anyone says or does will change your mind. If you believe the oposite...well nothing will change your mind. I reread the posts here and they all seem to be about mechanics...either of the pistol or of the presentation...not the philosophy of safeties, but your interpretation will be different than mine....and thats philosophy! KurtM

Latest posts

Top Bottom