Why do we have to be all nice and sweet to people that want to disarm us?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why should we be nice ? Well from personal experience I can tell you that being nice you might get some people off the fence that were leaning towards the anti's side, i was on that fence once ( almost became an anti after losing a friend to a bullet to the head ) . But someone calmly explained to me that the gun did not jump into anyone's hand . I also can add that I have had a few great conversations with people about firearms and was able to give them some polite education . So a smile and calm talk can be a good thing. True there will be many who will not listen no matter how nice you are but there will some who will. And when you can educate one he can educate others as well.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Flybeech, the answer is simply you must be nice because you do NOT want to be the "angry gun nut" stereotype. That stereotype frightens "regular" people ( ones with little familiarity with firearms). It makes them more likely to see the anti-gunners as reasonable.

Fly, since you didn't like JB's perfect answer, let me see if I can 'splain it better.

We are all in the same boat, we aren't going to be convinced that we need to give up our guns.
The other side is the same, they aren't going to budge either.

So what's left? Millions and millions of people who are on the fence or don't care one way or the other. When we start looking like James Yeager or Alex Jones, which way do you think they are going to go? They are both 100% correct in what they are saying but they looks like asses. The time to "give the business" is after they actually pass something. Being a dick will only help them do so.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you have to be nice if you are able to pull off blunt and truthful off with a smile on your face. Ben Shapiro wasn't exactly nice to Piers Morgan the other day. He called him out as a bully dancing on the graves of the children of Sandy Hook. It was great. But Ben never came off as angry and stuck to the facts.

michaelnc4444

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think being angry is the answer, when you resort to being angry, you automatically lose credibility. Like JB said you scare people, but that is just part of it. Intelligent people "speak" to one another, when you resort to name calling and yelling, you, by default, lose the intelligence of your argument. I realize that it can get incredibly difficult, when they refuse to listen to reason or facts, but you really must maintain your civility. You see, they want you to lose your cool, so they can discredit you as a "crazy, foaming at the mouth, gun nut", because they know they lose the argument on facts, so they have to win it on emotions.

Understand something though, there comes a point when civility is no longer an option. However, when we reach that point, we won't be talking anymore.

EDIT - I realized I used the word angry and I should have used the word "nice". You can be angry, but you must attempt to keep it civil, you don't even have to be nice, but you have to remain composed.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think you have to be nice if you are able to pull off blunt and truthful off with a smile on your face. Ben Shapiro wasn't exactly nice to Piers Morgan the other day. He called him out as a bully dancing on the graves of the children of Sandy Hook. It was great. But Ben never came off as angry and stuck to the facts.

But he wasn't disrespectful or rude either, there is a difference. Facts change things and even if they are on your side they just don't trump bad manners to those that are lacking an opinion or "reachable".

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am angry. I'm angry at politicians and members of the media that continue to divide our country. I'm tired of them continually trying to pick apart our rights. Anger is perfectly normal emotion for patriots right now.

However, I don't deal with these politicians or media idiots face-to-face. I deal with people that are ignorant to our rights, and have began to believe the lies. We are no longer educated to know or rights and love our liberty and freedom. We are lied to and misled and kept ignorant.

ACTING angry with someone who was ignorant enough to buy into the propaganda makes as much sense as acting angry with my 5 year old when he does something wrong. The correct course would be to better educate them if they are willing to listen. They won't even try to listen to someone being a *********, so why take that route?

Quit listening to Alex Jones! Anyone with the mindset of "If your not with me, you are against me" is a *********.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I get the message from the pile-on. Here is what I learned from this exchange;

We must always be nice to avoid the appearance of an angry gun nut. Sane people hide their anger, or better yet don't feel any anger at all.

We must always be nice to avoid frightening regular people, or they will support traitors. Regular people may seek to end of the Bill of Rights and loss of liberty as being more reasonable.

Views like mine should not be expressed in a Second Amendment forum, since this those forums are primary populated with regular people who are easily frightened.

We must always be nice to ensure that people listen. American citizens do not themselves get angry at the loss of liberty and will not listen to people like Alex Jones, or ordinary citizens that are angry over the destruction of the Bill of Rights.

It is drivel to repeatedly express disgust and disdain over other laws that similarly destroy the Constitution. Those laws are needed to keep us safe, and anyone who opposes them repeatedly is a broken record.

It is "all medieval" not to be nice to the anti-Constitutionalists. Since we elect people into power that destroy the Constitution, they deserve the same respect they give us.

The Founding Fathers were all about being nice to those who sought to oppress them, which is why the Revolutionary war was won with only about 10% of the colonists taking up arms. The real work was done by the 90% of colonists who were nice and compliant.

My lesson for today is nice guys always finish first.

Look, dude. I'm right there with you. Usually the talk around Christmas time in my house is, "Don't talk politics, Sanjuro will yell and throw things." But here's the deal: Yes, I've lost my cool because like you, I'm tired of giving an inch and them taking a mile. I'm just as fed up and passionate about where our country is headed. The bottom line is, we can be angry all we want, but we have to get them to actually HEAR us. I learned a couple of Christmases ago that if I'm polite, if I actually listen to their side of it and respond to what they say politely, but STILL WITHOUT COMPROMISE, they hear US much better than if we are yelling it in their faces with a bullhorn. Something about angry people makes the opposition shut down. They don't want to listen. The whole idea is our side to be heard. To communicate effectively. Communication is better heard if we're polite and don't lose our cool. Doesn't mean we have to compromise our beliefs or not be passionate about it. It's when they perceive us to be losing control that we seem crazy to them and all that does is reinforce their preconceived notions that we're crazy to begin with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom