Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I keep seeing these news stories about changes on July 1st about keeping your tag when you sell your car but they don't say why.

If I remember right, it used to be this way here a long time ago.

I don't understand why they want to move the tag and registration from the vehicle to the individual. You are supposed to keep the tag to put on the next vehicle you buy but with multiple cars you may not always replace the ones you sell.

I just don't get it.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's to keep the illegal aliens and other scofflaws from buying cars with 11,10,8 months left on the tabs and then never registering them in their name or buying insurance. No tags makes it harder to drive. I've seen plenty of used car listings on Craigslist where they'll state new tabs or how many months are left on the current registration.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep seeing these news stories about changes on July 1st about keeping your tag when you sell your car but they don't say why.

If I remember right, it used to be this way here a long time ago.

I don't understand why they want to move the tag and registration from the vehicle to the individual. You are supposed to keep the tag to put on the next vehicle you buy but with multiple cars you may not always replace the ones you sell.

I just don't get it.

I don’t think it was that way here. It wasn’t in cars I purchased starting in the late 70s anyhow.

I do know almost all other other states retain the tag like we will be doing. I’ve bought 3 used vehicles from other states. Two in Texas and one from Illinois. In 2006, a motocycle from a private party we just trailered back. In 2005 a motorcycle in Illinois, I had to get a 10 day (I think it was 10) temp tag to operate it as an out of state owner. I trailered it back but wanted to ride it several days in the area first. In 2015, I bought a used truck from a dealer in Texas and had to buy a 60 day (again I think) plate.

All of my out of state friends have always thought OK was crazy to allow them to stay on the vehicle.

I do remember Oklahoma replacing the plates every year on renewal before they went to the stickers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom