Windows 10 Problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on doing a clean install to a wiped HD, shouldn't have too many issues other than maybe finding drivers for any hardware that isn't included.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well it seems like Microsoft fooled me again. Tried installing Windows 10 to a blank hard drive using the product key for the Windows7 installation that was on the computer. It wouldn't accept the product key. A little research and discovered you have to do an upgrade to the existing OS to get the computer registered with Microsoft then you can wipe the hard drive and do a clean installation. This really sucks because I was trying to go from the 64 bit version of Win7 to the 32bit version of 10 (have my reasons) and it won't let me. If I try to use the 32 bit update it says I have to use the 64 bit disk.

Guess I'll try to do the 64 bit update then see if it will let me do a clean installation of the 32 bit version, probably not.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Win7 for me. Win8 blows goats... even on my touchscreen lappy. Absolutely NO reason I want to try W10. I'll totally pass - until I know of a very VERY good reason to upgrade. Win7 is as good and stable as I could want these days.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Think I have it figured out. I will need to install the 32 bit version of 7 on the laptop using a good (OEM or Retail) product key and do the update to Windows 10, then I can wipe the hard drive and do a clean installation of 10 and it will accept the win 7 key. I have a couple Win 7 keys from computers that were downgraded to XP but going to be a PTA.

I have 10 running on the laptop but it isn't activated, I think I just might like it well enough to finally get away from XP, naw probably not....

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I updated to Win 10 on my laptop and now I can't get on AOL --got a new 9.7 update for it --program is there -it just does not try to do anything - any of you computer wiz's have a idea what I can do to fix it before I take to the "Computer Doctor " and he waves his magkic wand over it to made a $100 go poof from my bank ?

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Windows, we have a problem.

All text typed on the keyboard is stored in temporary files, and sent (once per 30 mins) to:

oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
pre.footprintpredict.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com

Telemetry is sent once per 5 minutes, to:

vortex.data.microsoft.com
vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

typing the name of any popular movie into your local file search starts a telemetry process that indexes all media files on your computer and transmits them to:

df.telemetry.microsoft.com
cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
pre.footprintpredict.com

When a webcam is first enabled, ~35mb of data gets immediately transmitted to:

i1.services.social.microsoft.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

Everything that is said into an enabled microphone is immediately transmitted to:

pre.footprintpredict.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
telemetry.appex.bing.net
telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com

If this weren't bad enough, this behaviour still occurs after Cortana is fully disabled/uninstalled. It's speculated that the purpose of this function to build up a massive voice database, then tie those voices to identities, and eventually be able to identify anyone simply by picking up their voice, whether it be a microphone in a public place or a wiretap on a payphone.

Interestingly, if Cortana is enabled, the voice is first transcribed to text, then the transcription is sent to:

pre.footprintpredict.com
df.telemetry.microsoft.com

While the inital reflex may be to block all of the above servers via HOSTS, it turns out this won't work: Microsoft has taken the care to hardcode certain IPs, meaning that there is no DNS lookup and no HOSTS consultation. However, if the above servers are blocked via HOSTS, Windows will pretend to be crippled by continuously throwing errors, while still maintaining data collection in the background. Other than an increase in errors, HOSTS blocking did not affect the volume, frequency, or rate of data being transmitted.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My understanding is most if not all of the Big Brother reporting stuff can be turned off by doing a custom install and selecting No for several settings. Business customers would't accept this for a second and would think M.S. knows that. In any case won't take long before the hackers figure out how to turn it off and how-to's will be plastered it all over the web.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding is most if not all of the Big Brother reporting stuff can be turned off by doing a custom install and selecting No for several settings. Business customers would't accept this for a second and would think M.S. knows that. In any case won't take long before the hackers figure out how to turn it off and how-to's will be plastered it all over the web.

According to the source - http://aeronet.cz/news/analyza-wind...rmaci-o-uzivateli-jeho-prstech-ocich-a-hlasu/ - the data is still transmitted even with Cortana uninstalled. Attempting to block the transmissions results in constant error messages displayed to the user.

Latest posts

Top Bottom