Windows 10 Problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Geez, this sucks.

Upgraded an HP laptop that is about 4-5 years old from 8.1 to 10. When I got done there were no network connections or adapters available with no apparent way to add them back very easily. I only had it upgraded about an hour and a half but it didn't take long for me to say "this **** sucks."

Feck it. Easy to revert back to 8.1. It's done.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may have the issue with being a host. Recently went to a metered sat provider. I exceeded the max in two days with no video, and no music streaming, just forum browsing.
They gave me 7 more gigs, and I blew past that in two more days.

Trying to figure out WTF is going on.

That sounds just plum nuts to me. Is your MS OS downloading a crapton of updates or something? Wifey doing facebook on her phone or tablet?
There is free time on the meter from midnight to 5am. I've scheduled all updates to fall within the free time. My lap top is the only unit running the Sat.

You may have malware running on one or more devices.
Typically the malicious software not only steals your bandwidth and slows down your device but also sends out spam email continuously.

^^^^This is what I'm thinking. When I left the old wireless provider, he said there was a ton of bandwidth coming out of my machine. When I look at my usage in task manager, it shows my CPU using 6-7% while online, with only this forum called up.

Don't know. May have to wipe the system and start from scratch. I'm running windows Defender and McAfee.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is free time on the meter from midnight to 5am. I've scheduled all updates to fall within the free time. My lap top is the only unit running the Sat.

^^^^This is what I'm thinking. When I left the old wireless provider, he said there was a ton of bandwidth coming out of my machine. When I look at my usage in task manager, it shows my CPU using 6-7% while online, with only this forum called up.

Don't know. May have to wipe the system and start from scratch. I'm running windows Defender and McAfee.

Windows defender was once fairly good, pretty effective, didn't slow your system too bad and FREE!. Don't know about now, I haven't kept up. Always hated McAfee and the later Norton stuff, too much resource hogging but that's pretty par for the course. So glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may have the issue with being a host. Recently went to a metered sat provider. I exceeded the max in two days with no video, and no music streaming, just forum browsing.
They gave me 7 more gigs, and I blew past that in two more days.

Trying to figure out WTF is going on.

That sounds just plum nuts to me. Is your MS OS downloading a crapton of updates or something? Wifey doing facebook on her phone or tablet?

You may have malware running on one or more devices.
Typically the malicious software not only steals your bandwidth and slows down your device but also sends out spam email continuously.

If you haven't tried Mac OS, I highly suggest you do.

I don't doubt you a bit.

But......if the Mac is so awesome, why hasn't it driven windows out of the market? That is the one and only reason I've not tried it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't doubt you a bit.

But......if the Mac is so awesome, why hasn't it driven windows out of the market? That is the one and only reason I've not tried it.

I think several reasons.

1) Price: Price kept me away from it for at least 5 years until I said "screw it" and paid up. I knew full well I could buy TWO brand new, well spec'd windows machines for what a Mac costs, but I was so freaking sick of MS and having to clean install every year, buy OS upgrades and anti virus that I did it anyway. Best money I've spent on an electronic item of any kind.

2) Business: MS is so entrenched in the business world because for so long they really were the better option. It's not across the board because if you notice the news media has used Macs for years. Video, animation, pics, and their very large files are it's forte. The gap in general business has largely closed now I have MS Office for Mac on my Mac and even though they supposedly still support it, it's the bastard stepchild of their line. But it works and I have ZERO issues with it, and I can't say that about their flagship version. MAybe it's the Mac hardware, I don't know. My Mac is a Mid 2011 build and I've never had to reinstall a program yet. Been through several OS upgrades too still no issues. And the icing on that cake is I paid exactly $0.00 for them.

3) CAD/CAM: CAD/CAM is still Windows (almost exclusively) or Unix workstation based (more rare by the day due to modern Windows hardware catching up). I think Mac will catch up eventually in CAD/CAM as it's OS is Unix underneath and it's becoming mainstream slowly but it will take a lot of time yet. CAD/CAM developers are about as fast as water running uphill at releasing new things. Windows is still dug in here.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first win 10 problem is my printer is no longer supported. I have a couple papers I need to print and get mailed ASAP, sent them to a thumb drive and off to use another system to do the printing.

Mine updated yesterday it will take me a bit to decide if I want the other comps changed or if this one will go back.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Geez, this sucks.

Upgraded an HP laptop that is about 4-5 years old from 8.1 to 10. When I got done there were no network connections or adapters available with no apparent way to add them back very easily. I only had it upgraded about an hour and a half but it didn't take long for me to say "this **** sucks."

Feck it. Easy to revert back to 8.1. It's done.

Had this happen again to a rather NEW Toshiba laptop. No Networks to connect to.

Damn.

Common denominator... Cisco VPN Client.

Restored 8.1, uninstalled the VPN Client, upgraded to W10, all is better now. Things are looking up.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't doubt you a bit.

There's lots of reasons Windows is still around. But suffice to say, just try Mac OS. Give it a few months...and if you don't like it, Macs hold their value so well that you won't be out much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom