Windows 10 Problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a new Toshiba laptop that is not touchscreen, has w8. I HATE 8. switching it to 10 this weekend. If I like it, I will update the others. Probably will keep the 7pro I use on my main laptop and desktop that I use for video production.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the question is should I update? I have win 7 use the computer for internet surfing and playing MMO's.

Is there anything that has made you say "gee, I really wish my operating system did x," and Windows 10 does x?

If not, then leave it alone.

Think about it--why would they give it away for free? After all the time and money they've spent developing it, what do they gain? Answer: they're moving to a subscription model.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the question is should I update? I have win 7 use the computer for internet surfing and playing MMO's.

If you want to check it out you can do so pretty easily, as they make it quite simple to revert to the previous OS with just a few clicks and about 10 minutes or so. If you don't like it then then just go back.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the gamers out there windows 10 is currently not a great idea as it forces updates and is causing issues with the video drivers as well. In fact I have seen multiple updates from AMD and Nvidia in the last couple days.

Secondly why update in the first 3 to 6 months anyway. Ever get a BRAND NEW piece of software, even though it's been beta tested it is still a PITA on your computer. Everyone's system is different and will have a particular item or piece of software that may cause a problem. Let the other numbskulls out there figure out the problems and wait a month or two for them to be fixed. My father upgraded day one and he is sooo happy about it. I am less than thrilled and will toss it on a system I rarely use so I can see what the hype is about at some point but likely stick with 7 for a while. Plus the "free" upgrade will last for MUCH more than a year especially if you have an OEM computer since they stick the same key on every machine they make. The bios has a code in place that allows their code to say yes I should be active and genuine on this computer. Basically the "key" printed on the sticker on your computer is just for looks, it's probably not the one actually in use by the OS if you bought from a retailer.

Third read this and tell me you really want to have the "perfect ten" as microsoft calls it. http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.single.html It's a ten alright cause they are going to mine your data in ways that will make Google and Yahoo along with anyone else envious.

As far as macs go, it's nearly the same hardware as a PC now and you can build a hackintosh that will perform better than the way they spec it for less. The major stability comes from the server grade cpu's and ECC ram. I used the apple 2's and learned to program on them in elementary school. Once the Mac came out I was never thrilled with the look or feel of it. Prefer the KDE flavors of linux vs Genome as the look and feel is just irritating to me and since it is UNIX based I can get the same thing for free with linux or BSD anyway dropping the price farther. I didn't bite on the Steve Job sales pitch on the iPhone's either.

For those who want to put ten on their computers feel free but seriously think about what you are doing and if you regularly click on the express install option for software then wonder why you have ten toolbars and fifteen app buttons in your browser Microsoft will just love snuggling up with your data.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the gamers out there windows 10 is currently not a great idea as it forces updates and is causing issues with the video drivers as well. In fact I have seen multiple updates from AMD and Nvidia in the last couple days.

Secondly why update in the first 3 to 6 months anyway. Ever get a BRAND NEW piece of software, even though it's been beta tested it is still a PITA on your computer. Everyone's system is different and will have a particular item or piece of software that may cause a problem. Let the other numbskulls out there figure out the problems and wait a month or two for them to be fixed. My father upgraded day one and he is sooo happy about it. I am less than thrilled and will toss it on a system I rarely use so I can see what the hype is about at some point but likely stick with 7 for a while. Plus the "free" upgrade will last for MUCH more than a year especially if you have an OEM computer since they stick the same key on every machine they make. The bios has a code in place that allows their code to say yes I should be active and genuine on this computer. Basically the "key" printed on the sticker on your computer is just for looks, it's probably not the one actually in use by the OS if you bought from a retailer.

Third read this and tell me you really want to have the "perfect ten" as microsoft calls it. http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.single.html It's a ten alright cause they are going to mine your data in ways that will make Google and Yahoo along with anyone else envious.

As far as macs go, it's nearly the same hardware as a PC now and you can build a hackintosh that will perform better than the way they spec it for less. The major stability comes from the server grade cpu's and ECC ram. I used the apple 2's and learned to program on them in elementary school. Once the Mac came out I was never thrilled with the look or feel of it. Prefer the KDE flavors of linux vs Genome as the look and feel is just irritating to me and since it is UNIX based I can get the same thing for free with linux or BSD anyway dropping the price farther. I didn't bite on the Steve Job sales pitch on the iPhone's either.

For those who want to put ten on their computers feel free but seriously think about what you are doing and if you regularly click on the express install option for software then wonder why you have ten toolbars and fifteen app buttons in your browser Microsoft will just love snuggling up with your data.

Seriously......isn't this the way everybody/every app, etc. works these days?

Can one opt out of the location, etc?

Amazon, Ebay, etc knows every thing I've even clicked on. It is kind of convenient for the one click deal on amazon.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm downloading Windows 10 ISO on another computer as I type this. Want to install it on one of my laptops just to see how/if some of my older software will work. Just like previous versions of windows smarter people than me will post on the net how to turn off or disable all the crap that Microsoft thinks I need to "enhance my experience".

mccullma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found a bug in the Windows 10 platform. The "Start Menu and Cortana did not load" critical error. I couldn't find a solution for an hour. It apparently is caused by using Avast antivirus. I restarted in safe mode and removed Avast. It works fine now (different AV now).

Latest posts

Top Bottom