Windows 10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to 10 from 8.1. It broke my ability to adjust the brightness of the laptop screen. After hours installing and wrestling with dell over the issue I used it for a day or so and went back to 8.1. Colossal waste of time and effort.

blckthree

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had 10 on for a while back when it first came out and had repeated connectivity issues with the internet. It would lock up everything and require a reboot to get things working right again, and then only for a little while. It didn't take long for me to switch back. I'll try 10 or 11 or whatever it might be the next time I have to buy a new computer.

Mike

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I switched to Mac OS in 2011, and it was the best computer decision I've ever made. Also, now that I've worked in app development (both desktop and mobile), I've seen the substantial differences in privacy protection between Mac OS and Windows or Android, and Mac has the clear advantage there as well. Bite the bullet and buy a Mac.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I switched to Mac OS in 2011, and it was the best computer decision I've ever made. Also, now that I've worked in app development (both desktop and mobile), I've seen the substantial differences in privacy protection between Mac OS and Windows or Android, and Mac has the clear advantage there as well. Bite the bullet and buy a Mac.

Seriously considering doing this.

I already use an iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV. Price has kept me away from buying a Mac in the past, but the price difference is diminishing slowly now that I'm not buying the cheapest computer possible anymore. That and the Macs seem to last longer.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously considering doing this.

I already use an iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV. Price has kept me away from buying a Mac in the past, but the price difference is diminishing slowly now that I'm not buying the cheapest computer possible anymore. That and the Macs seem to last longer.

Here's something you don't usually do with Windows machines. Save some cash and buy used off of ebay or something. My iMac is a mid 2011 27" model and it's still going strong. I would have purchased at least 1 Windows machine guaranteed and would be close to buying a second at this point due to the fact I'd be sick of it's crappy performance or I'd be looking at a fresh install of the O/S on it. I've thought about "upgrading" but there is just no reason at all to do so right now, although the 4K displays are totally mindblowingly awesome. Macs aren't obsolete in a year like an MS box.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm pretty tech savvy, in some ways. But just not too demanding on my computers. My laptop is from 2011 I think, with a 2nd gen i5, 6gb ram. I'm considering replacing the battery (it's finally dying) and swapping in a solid state drive for the pie plate that's in it, and just running it for a while longer while saving for a Mac.

I've thought about buying a used one. I could probably pick up something only a year or two old to save some pennies.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely. My niece bought a used Mac notebook used about 2 years ago with my help picking it out. She's been using it with no issues since. I did a fresh install of Windows on my old Dell notebook and gave it to my sister about a year ago. Completely clean and it's already buggy to the point she hates to use it. I rub it in every chance I get by asking how her daughter's Mac is doing. :evil grin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also with your other Apple products, everything will talk together seamlessly. I stream from my phone or iPad to my Apple TV all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
True. I do that all the time. Can you stream from MacOS as well as iOS?

While I think MacOS may be more inherently long term stable (like with you sister & niece example), but my Windows computer is still very stable after nearly 4 years. Or three, can't remember. But I have it recorded in Excel somewhere. It just takes some discipline to regularly purge the start up programs and watch the running operations to kill off the bloat ware every once in a while.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a prompt to accomplish this when you download, or do you have to go back in and find them all after installation? I'm still on the fence, but I don't care to have my every keystroke monitored. (They'd find out how bad a typist I am!)

There are some general "help MS improve XYZ by tracking 123...yes or no" prompts. I didn't have to look for any particular menus to get these questions when I installed it, so I may have missed some options along the way. The upgrade was really easy and I'm happy with it over 8.1. I'd definitely do a lot of research to see if it has any real advantages over 7 if I was moving from that OS. I was happy with 7 on my old laptop, but again, I'm just a general user. I dick around on the internet, do some light photo editing and that's about it. I'm sure people that REALLY use what an OS has to offer will have a lot more to say on the matter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom