Windows 10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazeitornot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to go read up on what OSX actually is. It is not even in the same galaxy as "closed ecosystem that's built for tablets". What it really is? --->Unix! My 1st time seeing Unix was on a DEC engineering workstation that cost $30,000. My second time seeing an actual box running it was a Silicon Graphics engineering workstation that cost about the same. They were running advanced 3D solid modeling software and simultaneous 5 axis CAM programming software because at the time that's the only hardware and OS that was capable of doing the math, at least that was available for purchase outside of DOD or NASA. Mac OSX 10 is most certainly not a tablet OS. FYI, Linux is an open source version of Unix that runs on PC hardware, which by the way is what Apple is using these days. Wasn't always so, but it is now since PC hardware has advanced enough to run the real thing.
I simplified it a lil too much. Linux and Apple are both app based systems. But tablets and phones are where apps took off. Linux apps are open source but Apple approves apps on their ecosystem. Android(apps) is linux based as well. All new tech was tens of thousands of dollars back in the day. Hell, new TV tech costs $20K these days.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Apple is catching up on that front. I've seen a bunch of dog-slow MacBooks and MacBook Pros recently, and that was something you never used to see.

The interesting thing is that Windows is going the other direction--beginning with Vista, if your hardware will run it, it'll generally run the newer version of Windows faster. My work laptop is currently running 8.1 (no RSAT for 10 yet), and it runs better than it did on 7. My personal laptop in running 10, and it's running better than it did on 8/8.1.

And let's not start on iOS. Apple can't wait to make it iteratively worse...

Agreed. They have had a rough couple of rollouts. I'm just praying that Apple doesn't turn itself into another MS now that Steve Jobs is gone. But it does seem that they may be doing the same thing I've bitched about MS doing for years and that's release stuff before it's ready to be released. In the past they've been very solid and they do still have the fact that they spec specific hardware for their product and not just whatever new is out this week. One thing that's promising is that the new Apple TV was rumored to be coming out just about a year ago and it just now hit the market. Fingers are crossed!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I simplified it a lil too much. Linux and Apple are both app based systems. But tablets and phones are where apps took off. Linux apps are open source but Apple approves apps on their ecosystem. Android(apps) is linux based as well. All new tech was tens of thousands of dollars back in the day. Hell, new TV tech costs $20K these days.

I see now. But apps are different from the OS, but I get your point. And Apple maintaining a standard threshold is a very good thing IMO. I ditched my 1st Android phone for my 1st iPhone and the difference was so stark it totally sold me on Apple.

You are right about one thing tho. If you are a "techie" and like to tweak your stuff and write your own interface, Apple isn't really what you want. I'm in the camp that "I just want it to work" and it just does.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would consider myself a "techie", but most of the people I work with are world-class "techies" for sure, and nearly all of them use Macs. Parallel computing is so easy that you can use nearly any system simultaneously and integratively.

blazeitornot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see now. But apps are different from the OS, but I get your point. And Apple maintaining a standard threshold is a very good thing IMO. I ditched my 1st Android phone for my 1st iPhone and the difference was so stark it totally sold me on Apple.

You are right about one thing tho. If you are a "techie" and like to tweak your stuff and write your own interface, Apple isn't really what you want. I'm in the camp that "I just want it to work" and it just does.
Cool. I don't get the Windows hate, tho. It's irrational these days, IMO. They all have problems. MS made awesome products this year. Apple and Google copied the Surface Pro. Everyone is stealing the iPhone. I don't mind. I just like tech. I want a PC running on Google Fiber that syncs and runs together as well as Apple stuff.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shadowrider said:
One thing that's promising is that the new Apple TV was rumored to be coming out just about a year ago and it just now hit the market.
I actually have one of those; I picked it up while I was in Tulsa last weekend (needed one for work). It's a step forward in some areas and a step backward in others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've been thinking about getting the Apple tv. What do you not like about it?

I like mine just fine. I have two of the Gen 3s. When I was looking at them the most major gripe was others, Roku for instance, had more programming options. Apple has Netflix and Hulu on it, plus I have Amazon Prime which streams to it just great. I also get HBO Go and another HBO or two but only one of them is free even if you have HBO on your cable plan. That's not Apple's doing though. I'm hoping the new Apple TV has more options because I'm going to get one as I have one more TV to hook up. The new one has a Siri remote too. :D

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've been thinking about getting the Apple tv. What do you not like about it?
As an in-home, consumer device, they're fine (aside from being highly Apple-centric, but that's to be expected). My problems have been with trying to make them work in an enterprise-grade networking environment. They're just not ready for prime time there.

One thing I discovered that I liked about them is that I can use AirPlay to stream videos from my Windows laptop to it via iTunes, and the Apple TV remote actually does a really good job of controlling playback. iTunes and the Apple TV pay attention to the chapter marks in the video, and the controls for going backward and forward, either by chapter or by FFWD/Rewind, work very well, and the variable speed playback works really well. The new scrubbing feature on the 4th Gen Apple TV's remote is nice; it leaves a "tick" in the progress bar, so you can get back to where you were if you accidentally got into the scrubbing function--just drop the cursor back close to the tick, and it drops you back where you were. (Supposedly, if you use the Siri button and say "what did he say," it'll back up ten(?) seconds and temporarily turn on closed captioning, but I haven't tried that yet. It may also not be supported by all apps.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom