Windows 10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I upgraded and turned off all of the "Tell Microsoft" stuff on startup. I'm sure there's more to do to really shut it down, but I stick to doing legal stuff so getting big brother off my back isn't a dire priority of mine right now. I'm sure I'll eventually try to find ways to really lock it down, since I don't like prying on my activities, legal or otherwise, but I'm not in a rush.

How does it compare to other versions? If was a windows 7 user, I don't think I'd upgrade. I had 8.1 on my laptop and hated it. 10 is an immense interface improvement, moving back closer to the traditional XP/Vista/7 style interface. I'm a basic level user, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

As for Ubuntu....I tried it several years ago and it was more trouble than it was worth. People love it, and it's a pretty simple version of Linux, from my understanding. It was just too complicated for my give a damn factor at the time.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use 7 on all my machines, so I won't upgrade. I had 8.0 on my touchscreen laptop and hated it. So I upgraded to 8.1 and noticed no difference. Then I installed the ClassicShell for the Start button but still didn't like it. So I formatted and put Win7 on my laptop and haven't looked back.

I won't be "upgrading" anytime soon.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Windows 10 is much better than the older versions. It's free and will be getting all the attention going forward wrt security updates, etc... It's much faster, has a smaller footprint on my HD and the interface is better designed and organized. There is no reason not to upgrade unless you're just happy with your old version of Windows and simply don't care. My Upgrade from 8.1 went flawlessly.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I upgraded and turned off all of the "Tell Microsoft" stuff on startup. .

Is there a prompt to accomplish this when you download, or do you have to go back in and find them all after installation? I'm still on the fence, but I don't care to have my every keystroke monitored. (They'd find out how bad a typist I am!)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no reason not to upgrade unless you're just happy with your old version of Windows and simply don't care.

There's not? So.... Microsoft doesn't gather inordinately larger amounts of information from your usage than they did before? If they do, what do they do with that information? Not to mention that if you didn't PAY for it, the product doesn't BELONG to you, it is still Microsoft's property, to do what they like with, including requiring further and future updates that could further invade your privacy.

What you're saying is that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to be concerned by Microsoft gathering as much data as possible about you, your family, your computer and hardware and the usage habits of same? Just clarifying - since you say the is NO reason not to upgrade - 'cause... that's kinda a big reason I've chosen not to do so. Could you elaborate on how Big Brother just has all our best interests at heart and isn't going to use our information improperly at all, or profit off it in any way? Please.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they do, what do they do with that information? They sell it to others. They have to make up the revenue that they once had when they sold the OS.

Not to mention that if you didn't PAY for it, the product doesn't BELONG to you, it is still Microsoft's property, to do what they like with, including requiring further and future updates that could further invade your privacy. This has been the case for as long as I can remember.

See above. A key difference in the business model between Apple and MS is that Apple sells hardware and by and large MS doesn't. That's basically been Apple's focus all along, they just throw in the software for free. MS has figured out that they are going to have to give their OS away like Apple if they have any hope of competing. Personally I think that's utter BS, look at what they've done in the past. But they think so because Apple has beat their a$$ in functionality and reliability and people are even willing to pay a significant premium to get it (Apple costs more). But MS thinks this new business model is going to make them compete. I think we will see a decline in MS starting pretty quick, they should have stuck with the business model that they built themselves with and made their software work right instead of turning things inside out. That would help them more than this nonsense. :twocents:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I will be looking into other OS options if this is the direction M$ is going to continue to go... I've resisted it for years because of compatibility issues, and I won't move to Apple because of other issues like their proprietary BS, but there are other options and I expect the market will yield more as this well gets dug deeper.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know I will be looking into other OS options if this is the direction M$ is going to continue to go... I've resisted it for years because of compatibility issues, and I won't move to Apple because of other issues like their proprietary BS, but there are other options and I expect the market will yield more as this well gets dug deeper.

I resisted for several years due to the cost difference alone. Over time Apple has become compatible with MS more and more. Now it's not really an issue at all for the most part. I do have to use MS Office for my business and it's not an option for me as I have to have 100% perfect formatting compatibility with Excel so I'm forced to use MS Office for Mac. But there are options for a lot of people, OpenOffice and here's a middle finger from Apple to MS. Apple's version of Excel is called Numbers. And they charge a whopping $19.99 for it and it's actually free on IOS devices. Last time I looked at a standalone version of Excel is was almost $200. Ha!

I know in the CAD/CAM world Windows rules there because the software vendors just don't write and compile for anything but Windows these days. It used to be Unix for the high end stuff which is ironic because OSX is actually Unix. For video/photo editing, Apple is and has been the king for years and years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom