Windows 10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was just fine with XP. I'm sick of the Windows 10 popup.

Yes I think a lot of us were. All we wanted was security fixes and had no need for all the gee-wiz tech toys. I really wish MS would pull their head out and make a plain but secure version and one with all the bells and whistles for the tech geeks, or just a plain version that you can add tech toys to if you want. Do it like an AR, a pretty basic start that you can add tacticool crap to if you wish.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I think a lot of us were. All we wanted was security fixes and had no need for all the gee-wiz tech toys. I really wish MS would pull their head out and make a plain but secure version and one with all the bells and whistles for the tech geeks, or just a plain version that you can add tech toys to if you want. Do it like an AR, a pretty basic start that you can add tacticool crap to if you wish.

I get emails from Kim Kommando. One of the links I got the other day said Linux can be hacked by hitting the back button 28 times or so. Didn't click on the link because I'm not interested in Linux.

Not as secure as some think?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get emails from Kim Kommando. One of the links I got the other day said Linux can be hacked by hitting the back button 28 times or so. Didn't click on the link because I'm not interested in Linux.

Any of them can be hacked the only point about Linux is that most hackers do not bother. The script kiddies go after Windows machines because there are so many of them.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm the total opposite when it comes to tech stuff I guess. I ditched apple years ago for Android and haven't regretted it a bit. I like tinkering with stuff, always have. Built my first PC when I was 12 or 13. I've been running Win 10 for a little while and I've been happy with it. Only issue I had with it was some oddities getting a microphone to work, but once I got that squared away, it's been running smooth.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally switched to Win10 on Friday on laptop. Took about 2 hrs. Says we have 30 days to try it and can switch back.it is different. We'll see how it goes...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been running Win 10 for a little while and I've been happy with it. Only issue I had with it was some oddities getting a microphone to work, but once I got that squared away, it's been running smooth.
Same here (though I've had no mic issues). It actually fixed some issues that I'd been having on my personal laptop. I'd say it fixed some issues on my work laptop, but we changed channels on our volume licensing, so I had to do a clean install. As a result, I don't know if it was going to Win10 or reinstalling all the apps that fixed the broke stuff, but everything is running better now.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't like it but one of the more tech savvy members here helped me download Classic Shell so everything more or less looks like it used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Sorry, dennis, but this post is meaningless without knowing which distribution of Linux, what version, what application, what version, what plugins, and the nature of the "hack." I realize you didn't read it, but to take a snippet from a story you didn't read and suggest that it makes an entire OS insecure just doesn't work. It's on the same level as finding one instance where a prohibited person bought a gun, and using that as proof that the system is "not as secure as some think."

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The simple truth is that the installed base of Linux isn't large enough for the hackers to mess with. It isn't any more or less secure than Windows, it just isn't a target.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The simple truth is that the installed base of Linux isn't large enough for the hackers to mess with. It isn't any more or less secure than Windows, it just isn't a target.

Exactly.

The wife and I decided we will try Windows 10 with Classic Shell and if we do not like it I can always reformat and reinstall 7.

Latest posts

Top Bottom