Windows phone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddyof3_101

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The m8 is set to drop on att as well. Verizon has a timed exclusive. ....rumor has it not a very long one either. The m8 should be around 99 on a new contract when it drops. And with the 801 chipset should hold up nicely for the next few years. If you cant wait then the upper end nokias are nice phones as well. I always tell people its cheaper to spend a little more upfront and get a phones who's specs will last a couple of years then to have to upgrade mid contract. But I'm kinda a speed junkie when it comes to tech. I'm a gadget nerd.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The addition of file management beyond iTunes and expandable memory would be huge. Not being able to add files/music/vids (without some external program) is a *pain*.
I'd forgotten about that, but being able to drag and drop media files onto the phone is very nice. A few months ago I was at my brother's house and heard a song I wanted for my drive home; not wanting to fire up the ol' laptop, I grabbed my Windows tablet, bought the MP3 album from Amazon, then used drag and drop over a USB cable to put it on my phone.

There is a sync app you can use (f'rinstance, if you do use iTunes, it can sync with that abomination), but I haven't used it in a looooong time.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would personally like to see a jump in the level of offerings for the Windows based phone. Unfortunately, the app designers spend their efforts where its more likely to pay off, Android and IOS.

I had a Windows phone years ago(Omnia II). the version of Windows on it left a lot to be desired. With the refinement of Windows 8 I think the integration between the phone and computer will be beneficial. Until then, I'll stick with my S5.

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Nokia Lumia 521. Cost me $60 for a no contract phone that came with $20 voucher for apps in the Microsoft store. I have my calendar synced with Hotmail, Google and Facebook. It's easy to have all my appointments in one place. Same with my contacts. I update something in my phone and it goes into my Outlook at home and vice versa. I have my OneNote notebooks on the cloud and one of them shared with my wife for shopping lists she can update on the home PC, which I can access on the go. It works well for a driving GPS. I used it to record video at the air show and it worked surprisingly well. I don't play a lot of games, watch movies or listen to music on my phone, so I can't give you a lot of info on that, but they do have Pandora, Vevo, Kindle and Flixter apps. I'm not sure what apps you're specifically looking for that my be OS specific, but I've managed to find alternatives on the Windows phone that seem comparable to the others. The only thing I would suggest, at least for my model of phone, is a backup battery as it drains pretty quickly. Other than that... works for me.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Nokia Lumia 521. Cost me $60 for a no contract phone that came with $20 voucher for apps in the Microsoft store. I have my calendar synced with Hotmail, Google and Facebook. It's easy to have all my appointments in one place. Same with my contacts. I update something in my phone and it goes into my Outlook at home and vice versa. I have my OneNote notebooks on the cloud and one of them shared with my wife for shopping lists she can update on the home PC, which I can access on the go. It works well for a driving GPS. I used it to record video at the air show and it worked surprisingly well. I don't play a lot of games, watch movies or listen to music on my phone, so I can't give you a lot of info on that, but they do have Pandora, Vevo, Kindle and Flixter apps. I'm not sure what apps you're specifically looking for that my be OS specific, but I've managed to find alternatives on the Windows phone that seem comparable to the others. The only thing I would suggest, at least for my model of phone, is a backup battery as it drains pretty quickly. Other than that... works for me.

I like my lumina overall...I am a Microsoft person though and waited to get my 1st smart phone until WP 8 was released...I never bought into the apple craze and I don't trust g00gle so I just waited so all my platforms could match and function well together (tablets, PC, phones)...I have found all the apps I've ever needed...but I'm also not an app fanatic...but most of the big boys support WP now...Amazon has an app for it and others. I care nothing about social media.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bill gates just gave 1 million dollars for initiative 594 in Washington......requiring background checks for all gun sales(retail and private sales/transfers).

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd forgotten about that, but being able to drag and drop media files onto the phone is very nice. A few months ago I was at my brother's house and heard a song I wanted for my drive home; not wanting to fire up the ol' laptop, I grabbed my Windows tablet, bought the MP3 album from Amazon, then used drag and drop over a USB cable to put it on my phone.

There is a sync app you can use (f'rinstance, if you do use iTunes, it can sync with that abomination), but I haven't used it in a looooong time.

iTunes with Match and iCloud works just fine for me. I got all of my media anywhere I'm at as long as the bandwidth is there. I can also stream it to my TV with any iOS device I choose using airplay. Hell I was watching Justified last night like that since Apple TV doesn't do Amazon yet.

To the o/p, there is no freaking way I would even consider moving from iOS to windows anything. Not even if it were free. Not even if they paid me! Android maybe, if they drugged me, but windows? :hellno:

Latest posts

Top Bottom