Worst Restaurants - What's the worst place you've been?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny how so many of these posts are about chains...Applebees sucks here, and it sucks in Kansas, and so does Chili's and so on and so on...
These chains are all the same, low-cost food endorsed by greedy cardiologists.
I can't imagine living in OKC and eating "chinese buffet", when there are so many good Asian places - can't imagine living in Tulsa and eating at "on the border", with all the good taco joints in east Tulsa.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Denny's somewhere on I-35 between a strip club and a weekly rate motel.
I wasn't driving. A guy I was working with was.
I was hungry.
I ordered a burger from a waiter with sunken cheeks and track marks on his arm.
I decided I was no longer hungry.
I dissembled the burger with my fingers and spread it about the plate.
As I was doing this a rotund woman of the white trash heritage and her kids made their way from the motel to the Denny's.
They had no shoes on.
It was August.
I'm pretty sure momma bear had on nothing but an oversized t-shirt and panties, though I dared not look too long.
Their feet were black, standing in sharp contrast to their pallid white skin.
They sat them at a booth adjacent to us.
A small piece of my soul died and shriveled right there.

Most of my bad experiences are at chains people have forced me to go to. Or late in a small town, or on a Sunday in a small town. I am good at picking restaurants, and I hate most chains.

Runt's BBQ n Wagoner served my father and I Alpo on a hamburger bun once. We were cold, tired and hungry after checking in a deer. We we're not picky. I don't know how you mess a chopped beef sandwich. We both bit onto ours and looked at each other like we'd seen a ghost. If you're ever on that street, eat across the street at Son's if you need good fast food.

I will never darken the door of The Rusty Crane in Tulsa again. If not for their building/location I assure you no sober person would eat there twice. I'm not the only one to feel this way. Terrible service, terrible food. I hope someone else takes this building over soon.

Same with Hey Mambo in Tulsa. Twice Ive been there, twice I've had terrible service, twice I've paid just a little too much to be eating in a place with all the atmosphere of a McDonald's.

A lot of bad ones off highways on cross country road trips, But the above scar me he most. Shiver.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't eat out too often and it's even less when it's fast food, but most of my worst experiences are with fast food joints.

Burger King on base (Tinker). I can say with 100% confidence that I've received the wrong order more than I have the correct order here. And it's not like they forget to hand me my cup or give me fries instead of the onion rings I ordered. I'll order an Angry Whopper combo meal with onion rings, where the onion rings are the only "odd" variation away from the standard combo. Instead of my Angry Whopper and onion rings, they'll hand me a Papa Johns pepperoni pizza. I'll show them my receipt for what I did order and they'll apologize, take the pizza back and hand me a Papa Johns sausage pizza and a Taco Bueno Bueno bowl. Perhaps a slight exaggeration on my part, but it's almost like they try to give me the polar opposite of whatever it is that I ordered and it takes me going up to the counter at least once in order to get it corrected. My buddy/co-worker and I usually hit the place up together and he has the same exact experiences. At first, we chalked it up as "they're just busy, mistakes happen, no big deal", then it became frustrating, and now we're almost excited to go and place our order just to see what we actually get. It's like Christmas every time!

KFC. KFCs in general usually have shat customer service, but the one at 23rd and Douglas (or was there at some point) tops them all. I get into the drive-thru line a little after 10:15, as the lobby was already closed at that point. I'm waiting behind 1 car that is just sitting at the order menu. I'm wondering what the hell's going on, as it doesn't look like the guy is just sitting there to be a dick. I don't know how long he was there, but after several minutes of me being behind him he finally just leaves. I pull up and take a peek at the menu and I wait to be greeted.... nothing. I figure I've got time to spare, so I just sit there waiting for them to address me. I can see them inside, I can see them noticing me. Finally, 11:00 rolls around and I decide to pull up to the drive-thru window. Again, a couple of workers look, but keep on about their business. I knock and a girl opens up the window, "Can I help you?" I respond, "Uh yeah, I'd like to order some food." and she says, "We closed". I said, "I know you are now, but you weren't when I pulled up 45 minutes ago!" and all she says is, "Sorry!" and closes the window on me. I was looking for an excuse to get away from fast food, especially KFC at that point, and that was it. This was probably 9 years ago and I haven't been to KFC since, except for once to try the double decker sandwich, or whatever it was that had chicken breasts as buns.

As far as food, I've never been to a place that was so horrible I felt the need to walk out. I'm a big Chelino's fan (Edmond and MWC locations only). Their food isn't fantastic, as it's actually rather standard Mexican fare, but at least these two locations are consistent. However, their 59th and May as well as their downtown locations SUCK! The food isn't the same, the beer isn't the same, the customer service isn't the same. I had a beer at the downtown location and the lime half had a gnat smashed to its rind. I didn't realize it until halfway through, but I pointed it out to the waiter and, without saying a word, he took my beer and brought me a fresh one, gnat-free! Okay, so you don't want to apologize for the mistake (I completely understand that they happen). Fine, whatever. What isn't fine is when I'm handed my receipt and see that I was charged for two beers. Even worse is that the waiter tried to justify it since I polished off half of the first one and it took getting the manager in order to set things straight. Even still, no apology. The customer service here versus the service I receive at the MWC and Edmond locations is a clear black and white difference. Again, Chelino's is only standard $7/enchilada plate Mexican food, but their beers are ice cold, cheap and have shredded lime around the rim (versus most other restaurants who only squeeze a lime half/wedge into the beer), the wait staff is prompt and friendly, and like I said, the food is at least consistent. You're not missing out on a treasured treat by not going to Chelino's, but if your opinion of them is based off either of these beyond horribly crappy locations, then I feel sorry for you.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Denny's somewhere on I-35 between a strip club and a weekly rate motel.
I wasn't driving. A guy I was working with was.
I was hungry.
I ordered a burger from a waiter with sunken cheeks and track marks on his arm.
I decided I was no longer hungry.
I dissembled the burger with my fingers and spread it about the plate.
As I was doing this a rotund woman of the white trash heritage and her kids made their way from the motel to the Denny's.
They had no shoes on.
It was August.
I'm pretty sure momma bear had on nothing but an oversized t-shirt and panties, though I dared not look too long.
Their feet were black, standing in sharp contrast to their pallid white skin.
They sat them at a booth adjacent to us.
A small piece of my soul died and shriveled right there.

Most of my bad experiences are at chains people have forced me to go to. Or late in a small town, or on a Sunday in a small town. I am good at picking restaurants, and I hate most chains.

Runt's BBQ n Wagoner served my father and I Alpo on a hamburger bun once. We were cold, tired and hungry after checking in a deer. We we're not picky. I don't know how you mess a chopped beef sandwich. We both bit onto ours and looked at each other like we'd seen a ghost. If you're ever on that street, eat across the street at Son's if you need good fast food.

I will never darken the door of The Rusty Crane in Tulsa again. If not for their building/location I assure you no sober person would eat there twice. I'm not the only one to feel this way. Terrible service, terrible food. I hope someone else takes this building over soon.

Same with Hey Mambo in Tulsa. Twice Ive been there, twice I've had terrible service, twice I've paid just a little too much to be eating in a place with all the atmosphere of a McDonald's.

A lot of bad ones off highways on cross country road trips, But the above scar me he most. Shiver.

This is the beginning of a great book RH!

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Altus Diner, Altus, Ark. After looking the place over, we decided that we would order BLTs, after all, as one of our group said, "you can't go wrong with a BLT".

After placing our order, the waitress came back and said, "I'm sorry, our bacon is rancid."

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess my palate is different or that the years of abuse I gave myself with booze have screwed my taste buds but I like Cattlemen's. I have a pretty big never again list but at the top are chilis Jimmy's egg IHOP (the one off 40 and mustang rd) the green chili kitchen in Yukon hensleys grill in Yukon the catfish cove in piedmont and earls rib palace. So many bad experiences is why I rarely if ever venture away from the tried and true joints I like.

Latest posts

Top Bottom