X-men first class.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
okay, I know this is not a movie discussion form site, but i am not a member to one of those or to any other forums so, i suppose that means i am going to post here anyways, or at least until stopped..

i realize i am a nerd and a geek and that i overthink things and that they are just movies and are as such, flawed (as if the idea of mutated people having special powers is not flawed enough, but its a movie so ... whatever), what gets me is where they contradict themselves or do something that does not fit their pre-designated logic in the movie.

our latest x-men i have herd has not done well in the box office, honestly while i loved the last prequel we got from this sered, this one is annoying. that is not to say i did not enjoy it, but i feel for every question it gave an answer for, there is one more that it gave rise to.

minor spoiler alert****************

in chronological order as far as a in story timeline goes, the last stand is our newest chapter, and while it has a soft closing, we simply need another ending sequel to put things right, or at least that is how i feel, i mean a number of mutants have lost their powers, or died, and magneto is shown in the end getting his powers back slowly by playing chess alone in the park... and professor x is dead... or is he because they hint to him transferring his being into the brain dead man being kept alive by life support, and the mutants are not more accepted into society than they were in the first part.. so i think we need something more..

anyways, in the very first scene of the last stand, professor x and magneto who are friends at this time, walk into the house of gene gray, and we were all shocked that professor x was WALKING, because we only knew him as a cripple, and here he is, a bald elder man walking on his own two legs at a point before we see him in the wheelchair in our first encounter with him(prior to the first class)

first class spoiler alert*************
well, my problem is this...
in the first class, at the very end, they explain how professor x went from an able bodied young lad to being crippled form the waist down, by him being hit by a magneto deflected bullet during a scene where a cia agent is shooting at magneto trying to stop him from blowing up an armada of russian and usa ships, this bullet hits him in the spine of his lower back, and he is quoted as saying 3-4 times "i cannot feel my legs" and thats the end of that scene.

my beef is that he is young and his head full of hair in this scene.... when he becomes crippled.. . .. and yet we have this other scene where at a later point in time, he is an old bald man, walking.... and then we have the fact that 20 years from then, hes in a wheel chair because he was crippled apparently by said magneto deflected bullet?

seems sloppy to me. but then again, i was offended by the young wolvarine having boneclaws because of the epic movie quote by striker "you were always a monster logan, i just gave you claws"

movie writers should hire me to keep their stories straight.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's another comic plot-hole. They keep rebooting their comics so often they forget which ones they were reading and half the time the writers don't watch the other movies. So writer A kinda knows about the X-Men and writes a movie script, writer B may actually read the comics and then writes another movie, maybe writer C just watched the cartoons and wrote something based on that. In the end we nerds get annoyed but still pay to watch the movies.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was actually kind of disappointed in 1st Class anyway. Up until this I had become an addict to the movies, but this movie just didn't shine like it could have. The only person, I feel, that nailed their role and the character development of said role was Michael Fassbender(Erik Lensharr into Magneto). The rest didn't even make good filler material as far as I'm concerned. I agree that there are several plot fails as well.

As a former Navy nuclear technician, I was once again epicly failed by Hollywood and their nukular reactor. Although it was a nice throwback for the James Bond era prop, this is the 21st century for crying out loud. Take the fail out of your prop closet please.

ETA: I guess I had it coming, though, when the company that produced the movie was someone I'd never heard of before(Bad Hat Harry??).

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing that always bugged me about Magneto affecting bullets is that bullets aren't affected by magnetism unless they are steel. The time frame that this would have happened, they would be lead. Non-magnetic. Same with copper/brass. The bullets would laugh at his magnetic manipulation abilities.

Although, they claim he manipulates magnetism at the molecular levels, which is why he can manipulate non-ferrous metals...I say that's a cop out. If it was true, he would be able to manipulate everything and not just metals.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may be vaguely sloppy, but the time lines do work together.

The scene you reference in Last Stand has Charles and Erik going to Jean's house to talk to her. In First Class, once the bullet clipped his spine, Erik went on his way as the new 'bad guy'. Seemingly, Erik and Charles went to Jean's house prior to the events in Cuba to recruit her, as part of the initiative to build up opposition to Sebastian Shaw and the Hellfire club.

The hair thing is a break in continuity, but a playful one, since they made a few jokes about it in First Class. I, for one, enjoyed First Class, but in truth, I just enjoy good comic book movies after so many years of pretty bad ones.

My biggest gripe? The fact that there wasn't anything after the credits in First Class. I stayed in the theater with almost Pavlovian obedience to see the teaser at the end and... there wasn't a damn thing. /geekrage

Latest posts

Top Bottom