How many of you are "Job Creators"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shared a variety of my thoughts here, but one thing I have never really stopped to ask or evaluate is how many on OSA are actual job creators? How many either own a business or have the means to hire labor and keep them on your pay rolls for any amount of time?

As a small business owner we had 6 employees, 2012 has been a hard year for our business after a banner year in 2011. We had one employee leave us for another job and a second leave to go back to school. We chose to not replace those employees and instead, just make do with what we have. As I look forward to 2013, I pay close attention to what my clients are saying and how they are feeling about the future. It directly impacts how they spend, and how much they spend.

Our country has gone through change and will continue to do so as we move in to 2013. One simple thought is Job creators will always be so and regardless of the business venture will continue to work hard and foster new ideas. On the other hand, labors too will always be laborers and continue to do a job. How does this matter? When job creators are pushed in to a corner and told they must pay even more money for their work force, they will find a way to reduce those costs to say profitable.

I read a variety of comments through the heated discussions about how unfair it is to see employees hours slashed or worse released from their employment because of new rules that are going in to effect. As a job creator, I started my business to do what I enjoy doing, to build a future for my family and to ensure I can provide opportunities for my family. I never really thought that I wanted to start a business so that I could have employees, pay their health care, pay for their birth control and pay for their medicare. These are all items I either have to pay for now, or will coming soon.

So, given the ultimatum of loosing money or reducing staff, I'll reduce staff. Some may say it sounds unfair, cruel, or evil, but again, I started my business so I could build my family. People came to work for me because they wanted to help their family and can do that right now.

Those who believe business owners, CEO's, etc are evil, should look at the how a business is built. Someone starts with an idea and works hard to make it a reality. Growth dictates the need to hire personnel to help, but they are just that help, not the creator. Therefore, the creator can always go and start something new.

The creators will always create, the workers will always work. It's not impossible to change direction, but it does take more work, effort, luck, and money then many either can or are willing to put forward.

So how many are job creators?

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mostly agree with what you stated. Unfortunately when companies grow beyond small business to large business. It loses its soul and is strictly there to squeeze as much profits as possible.

Corporate America has definitely changed from Ford Motor Company paying their employees well so they too could afford to buy Ford's products, to paying employees subsistence wages (those that they cannot outsource) and hope you can build enough demand that people buy things through credit, while knowing these customers really cant afford it. Another example is Sam's club verses Costco. They are rivals and Costco usually pays around $3-4 more an hour than Sam's club. Yet the items are about the same price, the employees are happier, and in return the customers are happy. At Sam's club screw the employee, and give big bonuses to Sr. Management.

to answer your question, I do not own my own company. I have a father in law that is a CEO/owner of his company. My father owned his own company. I work doing proposals so we can hire more employees and create jobs.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I dont create jobs, im a consumer. I have no issues with small business owners or mom n pop operations.
These small companies are good for America.

Large companies, esp companies that import products for resale are what is killing our economy. Large and small companies that manufactor a product overseas, then import that product back to the US is hurting the worker and consumer. Thats no good for our economy.

We cannot be a consumer and service Nation without having a wage that doesnt allow for consumption or afford services. Today the gap has grown too large.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well it has been said large Corporate America pays no taxes, gets tax breaks, and has HUGE influence through the power of lobbying.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Large and small companies that manufactor a product overseas, then import that product back to the US is hurting the worker and consumer. Thats no good for our economy.

There are two issues here. One is that consumers don't want to pay the on-shore price. Two is that, for the goods and services that consumers are actually willing to pay for, people don't seem to want the jobs.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could be a job creator, quite easily. Instead, in large part because of .gov regulations and interference, I choose not to open a business and instead worry about myself and my family.

Guess I'm the problem, huh? Don't want to work more, make less and die early from the stress, all so I can provide jobs to someone else.

No thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom