How many of you are "Job Creators"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you guys coming over to help me clear some land and get my pecan orchard going? Jobs created and I pay in beer, burgers, and free access to steel targets. ;)

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been 2 years to the day of my first post in this thread.

I sold my small auto service/audio install shop I owned to the guy who was doing most of the work and now he is a small business owner. He's happy and I'm happier.

I bought in on a bar operation in a college district in IA and quickly found out that its exactly what I thought it would be- very hectic and busy one weekend then very dead the next. A rock music venues business all depends on people coming in the door with money to buy beer and according to what bands are playing. As a musician who played alot of bars over the last 27 years I just wanted my money for playing and now I know why we got paid in beer when the places we played were dead. The liquor sales pay for everything, and booking has to be stategic. I would love to be able to pay people more than what we do after filling in there one night on the bar and getting my azz totally kicked. I see alot of people come and go, always alot of new faces. Service work in restaurants, bars and clubs is harder work than I ever imagined and while the pay is great when the joint is packed it sucks when its dead. I try to tip people now alot better than I was when Im in a bar or club. We create jobs, but sad to say, theyre pretty crappy jobs.

Earlier in the year me and another business partner made a decision to sell our business and finally go our seperate ways 25 years since we first met. My partner is my ex-wife. Our daughter turned 20 this year, had a kid this summer with a guy she married last year, and now she is living in Hawaii while he is stationed there in the Army. The main reason we had stayed in business together after the divorce was to stay amicable for the kid. We had a buyer for our CA shop lined up so we went to our people in Iowa to talk to them about selling out to one of them but no one had that kind of money or the means to even get the loan. She called me one morning with an idea. At the shop she works at in IA we would bring what were employees in as business partners to share with us in the proceeds as well as help with the burden of running the business and give both of us a break from it all. Instead of being owners we would be co-owners and instead of merely being employees our people would also be co-owners. We went to them about it, every one was on board, and after all of the legalities were finished they went to work as co-owners and we both have been taking long vacations. Our relationships with our people have gotten stronger because we're all on an equal footing now. 25 years in business and in our 3rd location we finally have other people who are as passionate about the place as we were when we first opened. We also had our best year ever. And we have had only one person leave all year which is kind of weird because the industry historically is full of artists who live like gypsys and dont usually stay in one place for very long even tho we usually had a low turnover rate.

So, we created jobs when we first opened the shops and now we have made some former employees small business owners themselves. I am making a lot less money- but also spending a lot less time working and more time here getting stuff done around the house and my current wife is a lot happier that I am home more. Has been a win-win for everybody.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I contribute to plenty of jobs in the fields of import/export commodities, agriculture, pharmaceuticals, and chemical production with the people I keep on the streets and out of jail. Not to mention law enforcement, bail bonds, Dep't of Corrections, etc.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you guys coming over to help me clear some land and get my pecan orchard going? Jobs created and I pay in beer, burgers, and free access to steel targets. ;)

I don't to say it's a bad time to get into pecans but it's not a great time to do it, I still have 20,000lbs of pecans sitting in storage down in Texas the overseas buyers aren't even grabbing them up like crazy like they were a few years ago.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am. I'm a consumer...

I know I keep a few bankers, some bureaucrats, a hockey coach, gymnastics coach, and music teacher employed. I also keep folks at the ammo and gun companies rolling in the dough.

In the past I supported single moms, one dollar bill at a time, too.

Muskrat

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm becoming a job creator. Been in the mechanics field for 45 years working on automotive to Heavy equipment and the body just doesn't like it anymore. Decided to retire and then was offered by someone to furnish me a building if I would set up shop. Since I already own 99% of the equipment already it was a no brainer. Going to work on class 5 through class 8 trucks. To start with we will have 5 employees and if the work load is what our projections are we will be up to about 12 in a short time. We will pay quite well. Even our janitor is going to make in the mid teens per hour. I've been on both sides of the work fence and within reason and with some exceptions the amount of pay dictates the quality of worker you will get. Now comes the scary part. Opening the shop with employees.

Latest posts

Top Bottom