1% tip, on expensive lunch. **and my rant on pay, gratuity, and salary jobs**

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the OP's post is not about tipping per se, but about the fact that waiters and waitresses are underpaid and the employer expects it's customers to make up the difference. I tend to agree. How is that places like McDonalds can pay its employees minimum wage while the places that charge $15+ per plate and $4 for a soda cannot?

Also understand that for some of us going out to eat is barely finacially feasable. With a family of 5 spending $75-$100 is expected for a decent meal. When it takes you a month or more to save enough to take your family out it is not only a special event but often not possible to leave more than a $5 tip.

That sounds almost as bad as the guy who started a "gofundme" to make 12000 dollar down payment on a house for his stay at home wife and kids.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got back from lunch and our bill was $12.73.
I tips 20% when I get good service and this kid did us a fine job. But 20% is only $2.50 and that just didnt feel right to me so I left a $5
So its really not about % to me, its what I feel they are worth. I hate leaving a $20 when I get mediocre service and spend $100 so I dont. I may leave a $10 if I feel thats all the service was worth but I usually wont go less than 10% unless the waitress is rude to me. I remember leaving 2$ on a $10 tab once, I got up and walked to the bathroom on the way to the front door and I heard the gal holler "woohoo a whole 2 dollars". I walked back to the bar and she saw me and got that deer in the head light look and I said "2 dollars is 20% tip, if you think your worth more than that, I'm hear to disagree". and I left. She was always real nice to me after that. lol

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tip pretty well (unless I get crap service of course), particularly at the places I frequent, where they know me. If they give special treatment, they get a hell of a tip. If they give me any freebies, I tip most of the value of the freebie... I like to encourage that sort of thing. I had a bartender send some glasses home with me when I commented how I needed to get some like that... he got a real nice tip.
Some of y'all said how you tip less of a percent if the meal is really expensive... I am frequently the opposite. It is the $200 + meals where I usually get the most superlative service, best drinks, etc., and I am usually drunk, so those are the places where I tip over the standard 20-25% the most frequently.

I like to tip in cash whenever possible (especially at the Mexican joints), with the hopes that the money goes straight into their pockets and doesn't go to support the State or any of it's cosmic injustice schemes.

As for why tipping exists? I think it started as something European aristocrats did with their servants. In the late 1800s or thereabouts, some Yankees wanted to look sophisticated and European to impress each other, so they started doing it and it caught on. I actually like it, because it requires people to make a value judgment. Something people are taught not to do from a young age in PC society... "don't judge!" Well, the ability to judge, particularly for the worth of a person or the services they provide, is a hugely important survival skill. Plus it's cool that there is a wage system in the country that is mostly outside of governmental control. So rock on, tipping!

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got back from lunch and our bill was $12.73.
I tips 20% when I get good service and this kid did us a fine job. But 20% is only $2.50 and that just didnt feel right to me so I left a $5
So its really not about % to me, its what I feel they are worth. I hate leaving a $20 when I get mediocre service and spend $100 so I dont. I may leave a $10 if I feel thats all the service was worth but I usually wont go less than 10% unless the waitress is rude to me. I remember leaving 2$ on a $10 tab once, I got up and walked to the bathroom on the way to the front door and I heard the gal holler "woohoo a whole 2 dollars". I walked back to the bar and she saw me and got that deer in the head light look and I said "2 dollars is 20% tip, if you think your worth more than that, I'm hear to disagree". and I left. She was always real nice to me after that. lol
I do 20% probably as most do as a habit plus the math is easy but I also do have my minimums when in a sit down joint. I always keep 5s on me just for tipping if Im not using a card and am putting it on there. $5 is my minimum for a lunch, even if my bill is only 15 or 20 bucks. A $10 burger or sandwich and a beer or drink I may still tip the 5 if I got my drinks refilled and so on.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I once had a good friend at work who, when we went out for lunch, would always tip 20%, or more. I always tipped 15%. This was years ago when 15% was the standard.

He always gave me a hard time and called me Mr. Pink. It was funny and I didn't mind.

Problem was he was considerably much better off than me financially and had a better paying job. That never seemed to register with him. I liked him anyway.

All things are relative.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've always been annoyed by the entitlement attitude of many waiters/waitresses. I'll tip for exceptionally good service, but bring me my food and check on me once during my meal, not going to get more then a dollar or two. Just the way it is.

I also dont tip based on percentages...if i order a $15 steak rather than a $6 burger, why should that affect how much of a tip you get? The guy above mentioned tipping in Europe...as someone who has lived in Europe, we were told by many tour guides NOT to tip. Its taken as an insult.

Latest posts

Top Bottom