1% tip, on expensive lunch. **and my rant on pay, gratuity, and salary jobs**

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S
Maybe I am just stupid, or maybe I am just getting a little wiser or more paranoid about the media. Maybe I am getting more stupid and more paranoid, who can say? Anyways, so this guy who is only named as a "RICH WEALTHY BANKER!!!" leaves a tip of 1% on a lunch that cost $133 bucks. The article says the photo of the receipt was uploaded by the guy eating lunch with the "rich banker", and furthermore that the person who uploaded it was quoted as saying mentioning that the banker purposely tips 1% to waiters/waitresses who do not bow to his superiority or something like that, and furthermore that it is supposed to have the significance to mean that he "IS the 1% and PROUD!". he also wrote "get a real job" on the paper as an insult.

Then the article mentions another tip of zero value, with the words. "loose some weight".
here is the article: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trendin...ncites-class-warfare-between-1-164624882.html

** end of that topic ** the next topic is just me ranting about the concept of gratuity based jobs.

As you can no doubt tell, i battle with myself on the tip topic. I refuse to work in food again, and have never been a waiter. and as a tall over-weight young guy, all my job titles i seem to find eventually leave me assuming the job of what i would consider "hired grunt" they always expect me to move the heavy crap, and juggle the large objects, to sweat and play in the dirt, and i have never received an extra "tip" or gratuity in pay based on how hard i have had to work, or how well i did my job, my reward was that i got to keep my job, and take a shower when i got home. I have done some pretty nasty, hard, dirty, unsafe, and difficult jobs, and have yet to make more than 20 bucks an hour. (i had the opportunity as a CNA to make up to 22 an hour working nights and weekends at old folks homes, and i quickly realized that working with the elderly is not for me) And yet since high school I hear girls chatting about how they often average 20-30 bucks an hour or more working peak hours as a waitress. and sure, i could try my hand at it, but i choose to stay out of the food industry.

naturally, i am thankful to have had these jobs regardless of how much i hated them in the end, they have served as a great motivation to stay in school, and get out of this level of society, because clearly, i will not be happy living like that and doing those jobs until the day i die. and maybe that is where i get my problem with this whole 99% against the top paid 1% b/s. if you are not happy with the amount of money you make, this is still america the last time i checked anyways, and if you want a better life, and more money, figure out what you have to do to make it, and focus your life towards it. to be pissed off at people who have more money than you, and target them is just stupid. yeah, naturally i expect them to pay their share in taxes, (which to me i personally think everyone should just pay the same percentage, and my ideal idea of this would be if everyone just paid tax on what they spent the money one, and called it good. this different tax brackets and such just sounds stupid to me.

so my point is, why the hell has society created a line of work that strives on this tip or gratuity concept? Pay your freaking workers what they are worth, charge your customers what you have to, and call it good. i feel the pay any worker gets, should be from their employer to their employee, leave the customer to deal with the cost of what they purchased from your establishment.

i mean think about it, to me gratuity should be like this, i liked my waiter/waitress, they kept me happy, preformed timely, and when i slip them some extra money, i am saying "hey, i can see you are really putting in an effort, and you took good care of me, and i appreciate you making my experience a better than average one, here is a reward that." but instead, i fell like the staff is just kind of floating by or just vanished , its all about the same thing, but "well, they do not get paid crap per hour on wages, and if i don't tack on an extra 5-10 bucks on my meal i will look like a prick, eh, i guess that is the cost of eating out...
Hey RUGERSGR8! I think most people read the first few posts from FEBRUARY 2012 and replied to those. Not your links you posted today.
1. I just hope the "waiter" does not have AIDS or some other disease.
2. I also hope the "waiter" gets his butt kicked--legally and financially.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/06/04/man-noticed-something-utterly-disgusting-in-his-drink-after-poor-service-at-chilis-that-had-police-getting-involved/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Firewire&utm_campaign=Firewire%20-%20HORIZON%206-4-15%20FINAL
Man Noticed Something Utterly Disgusting in His Drink After Poor Service at Chili’s That Had Police Getting Involved
Jun. 4, 2015 11:44am - Mike Opelka

PS---I do tip unless the service is bad.
Hey RUGERSGR8! I think most people read the first few posts from FEBRUARY 2012 and replied to those. Not your links you posted today.
Did anyone read the link I posted? It said the customer only told the waiter(Gregory Lamica) that there were missing potato chips and undercooked food and they also said that they were not rude to the waiter. When they asked for a refill on the soda, that is when the waiter brought back the "to-go cup" with his loogie deposited in it. When the customer and his wife left the Chili's they said that they also left a tip for the waiter(how much(?)). So why did they waiter(Gregory Lamica), take it out on the couple? It sounds like couples complaint was directed at Chili's and not at the waiter. I admit there could be more to the story than was told in the article and that there are bunghole customers that like to make life miserable for waiters/waitresses/other people, but I didn't get that in the article. That is also the reason that I said that the waiter(Gregory Lamica)needed his butt kicked--legally and financially. Why didn't Lamica just take a whizz in is bosses coffee and be done with it?:anyone::rolleyes2

One last question, did anyone read the comments that were give after the article? Sounds like some of the people on this forum and the comments came from two completely different articles.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

When I searched for "loogie'', "tips", etc. it showed this thread so I posted it here(thinking I was on or near topic). I guess I should have posted mine as a stand-alone/solo thread. Sorry

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always do 20% in restaurants. The math is easier.... Pizza guys get tipped pretty good by me, I get great service too. My kid works at one as a cook and when he came to work there he said I was notorious for tipping better than most anybody... When I was tattooing I always got tipped well above what I should have. Sometimes I refused it if they seemed like they needed it more than me. It was weird and hard to get used to seeing obviously very poor people who you know couldnt even afford a cheeseburger most days spending their money on such frivalous stuff like a tattoo.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Red River last week, We ate at Capo's Italian. Just two couples with separate checks. We noticed they included 18% to the tab automatically. Some might have missed that and added more.
Personally, the food was great, the service was great, and I would have tipped them 20%, but since they seemed to be happy with 18%, that's what they got.

Excellent reasoning - I proceed with the same logic. They're hoping you miss that little detail on the check. If they caught me in a testy mood or the tea glass went dry during the meal, then the discussion with the manager might get interesting.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
In most cases, those employees make $2 an hour as well, hence the tipout. The tipout is based on a percentage of their sales, in most cases, not in their tips, doesnt matter if they made $100 in tips, or $200 in tips. So if a waiter does 1k in sales that night, the restaurant automatically adds $30 to what gets paid out to the restaurant at the end of the shift ($1030 now going to the restaurant), then the restaurant pays that out to the busboys/bartenders/hostesses.

You're telling me that busboys make the same wage as the waitstaff? I could understand a bartender, but a hostess and busboy. Did not know that.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a busboy (I was a prep cook but pitched in busing sometimes), the waitresses just paid into a pot for the busboys...the restaurant wasn't involved at all.

But that was 30 years ago...

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a busboy (I was a prep cook but pitched in busing sometimes), the waitresses just paid into a pot for the busboys...the restaurant wasn't involved at all.

But that was 30 years ago...

My first "legal" job at 16 - busboy, minimum wage. Some of the waiters would share their tips with busboys and dishwashers.
Took me about 3 weeks to realize I didn't like the restaurant business.
I tip pretty well, unless it's a joint that doesn't provide full service. The wait staff at most of the places I frequent work their butts off, and tips are the main wage for them. When they get some DB that keeps them hopping throughout a meal, then leaves nothing, it's almost like working for free.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear you. I tip well too after working in a restaurant most of my teen years. Dishwasher to salad prep to prep cook with occasional busing and even a few nights waiting tables when they were short. Gave up a lot of weekend nights in high school but always had gas money for the Charger!

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're telling me that busboys make the same wage as the waitstaff? I could understand a bartender, but a hostess and busboy. Did not know that.

Some restaurants pay the busboy a flat rate of up to 10/hr. Some are too cheap and make the servers basically subsidize the hostesses and busboys. So they will get 2.13 an hr unless the tipout isn't great enough to make min wage. Then the restaurant steps in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom