1st 1911 decision. Need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a HarWell Protuck for my Glock 19 for years and loved it. They carry a bunch of them at Stillwater Armory. It is a copy of the Crossbreed supertuck, but the guy is based here in oklahoma. I'm going to get one for the new Ruger and see how it goes.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I had a HarWell Protuck for my Glock 19 for years and loved it. They carry a bunch of them at Stillwater Armory. It is a copy of the Crossbreed supertuck, but the guy is based here in oklahoma. I'm going to get one for the new Ruger and see how it goes.

Just checked them out. Looks like I need to order a few. I like the crossbreed, but I also like keeping my money local if possible. Thanks for mentioning them.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A beavertail grip safety is a "must" for a majority of users who shoot their 1911 a good bit. It is expensive to fit and add if its not already there from the factory. The stock GI grip safety beats up most shooters hands after a couple hundred rounds.

If the sights go into a standard dovetail then that's good for possible future upgrades. There are several rear sight machining patterns, some of which permit other brand sights. The Novak also works for the MMC adjustable for example. The classic Bo-Mar cut is not necessarily universal fit. There are several different front sight dovetail cuts out there.

The thumb safety often can be readily replaced with another, however fitting is required for optimal performance. Sometimes blending to the frame is necessary to avoid biting the web of the hand on recoil.

A replacement trigger isn't that hard to do. Most are drop-in; some require some fitting of the part to the gun. The trigger part itself will not really improve the trigger pull. The new trigger over travel will have to be properly adjusted for safety and function.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to make either of these guns my primary carry.

1911 has a colorful and rich history, beautiful lines, and there are some that are simply art.

With that said - 1911 is possibly the worst primary carry you can come up with in 21st century:

Expensive, very heavy, large profile, minimal capacity, poor loading, poor feeding, poor ejecting, over-all finicky.

Over the years 1911 has gone through dozens of bandaids (in 1911 worlds they are called "features" or "enhancements").

If you wanted a Bullseye pistol - 1911 is the way to go since the trigger and bushing design is for precision work is unbeatable; but for any sort of duty - the trigger and accuracy do not outweigh all of it's flaws.

Go to an action match - see what happens under slightest pressure to 1911s:
Safeties don't disengage
Slides lock back for no reason
Magazines don't feed or double feed or simply fall out
Oh, and you reload A LOT causing more of the above magazine issues

I am really not trying to be a hater (I do have a 1911, I compete with it and I do carry it occasionally) - I am just being realistic: yall are splitting hairs on Springfield vs Ruger while not addressing the big picture (OP was talking about liking GI for Pete's sake).

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want it for carry I'd most definitely go with the Ruger of the two guns you mention. Both are quality guns but I can just about guarantee you will want the added upgrades the Ruger comes with after a little time goes by.

Also as an owner of a Springer TRP I can say that the Ruger is the bottom tier that I would consider carrying with. My list would go like this: Ruger, S&W, Sig, Springfield (loaded or higher), then would come Dan Wesson, Wilson, LB, etc.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1911 has a colorful and rich history, beautiful lines, and there are some that are simply art.

With that said - 1911 is possibly the worst primary carry you can come up with in 21st century:

Expensive, very heavy, large profile, minimal capacity, poor loading, poor feeding, poor ejecting, over-all finicky.

Over the years 1911 has gone through dozens of bandaids (in 1911 worlds they are called "features" or "enhancements").

If you wanted a Bullseye pistol - 1911 is the way to go since the trigger and bushing design is for precision work is unbeatable; but for any sort of duty - the trigger and accuracy do not outweigh all of it's flaws.

Go to an action match - see what happens under slightest pressure to 1911s:
Safeties don't disengage
Slides lock back for no reason
Magazines don't feed or double feed or simply fall out
Oh, and you reload A LOT causing more of the above magazine issues

I am really not trying to be a hater (I do have a 1911, I compete with it and I do carry it occasionally) - I am just being realistic: y’all are splitting hairs on Springfield vs Ruger while not addressing the big picture (OP was talking about liking GI for Pete's sake).

You're hitting on something I've always said about 1911's. While they can be extremely rewarding on a personal level, they can be extremely demanding if your care, feeding and operation of them isn't spot on.

Generally, actual mil-spec 1911's are extremely reliable, but the most difficult to shoot well. they tend to bite the hand that feeds them. The current crop of 1911's in modernized form frequently suffer from the desire to squeeze match grade accuracy out of a defensive pistol. Some are quite intolerant of fouling, improper lubrication, magazine fit and tolerance stacking, not to mention the incessant tinkering many 1911 fans do.

All that said, I still don’t think they’re the worst carry gun out there, so long as you put into it what you need to get out of it. I’ve found that I can conceal a 5” 1911 better than I can a G19, for my particular shape and size. While I usually shoot 100% on quals with the 19, I shoot 100% with my S&W 1911PD and the resulting overall group is significantly tighter. That equates to greater confidence on making a critical shot. The grip safety has been sensitized and the thumb safety is extended and positive. It’s been tested extensively with various JHP’s and eats 230gr Gold Dot like it was going out of style.

Likewise, my 100th Anniversary Colt Rail Gun has about 5K of JHP’s through it with ZERO malfunctions. The barrel and bushing are fit well enough to shoot tighter groups than my plastic guns, but it can be disassembled without tools and the slide to frame fit feels and sounds positively “GI” in fit. Likewise, its grip and thumb safeties have been tuned for optimal function.

For most people the 1911 isn’t the best choice, but IF you know what you’re doing and have realistic goals, they shoot fast, flat, accurately and conceal well.

MisterGrubbs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From personal experience, and personal preference(So take this with a grain of salt)....

I've shot quite a few 1911's. I owned a SW1911 Pro - man was she pretty! Man she shot nice and had a great trigger! Sad news? I had a 450 dollar Taurus 1911 with trigger work that shot just as well for me.

If I were in your shoes(and once again this is simply my opinion), I would take a look at the Rock Island. Everyone single last one of them I have shot have performed very well for me. Furthermore, with the money you save, you can put plenty of Wilson parts in there and have one heck of a great shooting 1911.

In stock format? The Ruger SR1911 is a good shooting gun for the price point.

Ryan

Latest posts

Top Bottom