2023 Controlled Hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Praise the Lord!!! I was selected for a cow elk. Wichita mtn. Week of Dec 18. Probably use 30-06. Anyone have pointers for an old, 67 yr, brain injury victim. Like average shot distance? Pack out distance to road? Etc. have made 300 yrd 1 shot clean kills before injury. Any info appreciated. Thanks. Sorry for you guys and gals that didn’t get drawn. I’ve been putting in since the early 90’s.
Is yours walk in or traditional? Do you have a helper?

You are only allowed 5 rounds of ammo per day. Practice at different ranges (distances) from different positions like you would make when hunting. Shooting from bench is good to see what your accuracy is and your trajectory but real life scenarios will help you find any issues and will build your confidence.

30-06 with 200 yard zero should allow shots in kill zone out to about 320 yards without adjustment. It should be around 9 inches low at 320 yards with 180 grain.

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is yours walk in or traditional? Do you have a helper?

You are only allowed 5 rounds of ammo per day. Practice at different ranges (distances) from different positions like you would make when hunting. Shooting from bench is good to see what your accuracy is and your trajectory but real life scenarios will help you find any issues and will build your confidence.

30-06 with 200 yard zero should allow shots in kill zone out to about 320 yards without adjustment. It should be around 9 inches low at 320 yards with 180 grain.
Mine is traditional controlled. Drop off. Thank you for the help. Hope I’m able to make it.

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll be hunting out there too. Any leads on landowners?
The public hunting I scored on was about 3-4 miles east of new Mexico line, right on the Texas/Oklahoma border. There was no land mark other than a wind mill and water tank on the Tex side.

CrappieSlayer44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Plus 1000.

I wonder how many out of state applicants there are also? Not Okies that moved out of state but folks who’ve never lived here that are putting in and possibly getting drawn out.
Oh you know damn well some good ole boy stuff be going on.......... that's just how things are. Anyone tells you different and they are fooling themselves.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve struck out for almost a decade applying for everything. I just need a good place to Turkey hunt.
That's getting pretty tough to do anymore. Turkeys are at an all time low, waterfowl guides have started guiding for turkeys in the spring so what populations are left, get absolutely hammered every spring now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom