22lr ammo.... Truth or myth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been told by many over the years that 22lr will go bad over time. Is this true, or is it a myth?
I keep my ammo in ammo cans and I do keep a good supply of 22lr. Just wonder if I should split it up and rotate it out.
If this is so, how long is it good for?

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've almost shot a case of the Federal 525 Value Pack (5,250 total) that I purchased about 3 years ago. No problems during that short storage period. I suspect you are asking about much longer storage periods?

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some from 80's that goes bang everytime. But to answer your question. I have no clue how long before it goes bad. Edit I guess they made the lead white back then.
:D

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot will depend on how and where you store the ammo. In a spot with large changes in humidity and temperature, any ammo will likely not last as long as in a cool, dry location.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my ammo can's I've stated adding silica packs when I pack it loose after confirming I have a good seal. My father and I just shot the last of some Remington from 1994 without issues, almost 20 years old..

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Old ammo can develop a white crust (lead oxide I suspect)and this makes it a lead hazard. Should be cleaned before handling. I use a disposable cloth, face mask, and disposable gloves. Stupid enough without absorbing any more lead . . .

That said, the stuff seems eternal. I have some from the 1960s that shoots just fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom