Above Ground Shelters, Pics wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You do have a point after watching This. It just doesn't seem nearly as safe as the below ground shelter at my old house.

I understand where you are coming from. My last place had an in ground shelter (outside). My new home has a saferoom off the master bedroom that has the MB closet built into it. If you didn't notice the vault door on the way in or the fact that it dampens all sound, you wouldn't know it was a saferoom. Pretty nice to have air conditioning, power, internet, places to store items in the event you get stuck in there. The in-swinging vault door is also nice because I wouldn't have to worry about keeping the door shut like I would on my old in-ground with the outswinging flimsy metal door. I also like not having spiders, bugs, etc in my shelter. Once we had to take shelter at the old place and about 15 minutes into it, my daughter notices a giant black widow up in one of the corners.... no thanks

We live in the country and north east of OKC, which puts us in the path of storms after they go through OKC. I cannot hear sirens from my place, so I rely on a combo of NOAA weather radio, SAT internet, and dish network. When I lose TV and SAT Internet during a warning, we head to the shelter as I cannot make an educated guess on where the danger is or what its vector is. It was good to hear the special weather statements during the Moore F5.

I too am concerned about an F5 and the debris it might be carrying and slinging at high rate of speeds. I was stressing out about this while we rode out the cell that sparked the Moore F5. I lost Dish/SAT internet about 5 minutes after I watched the tornado lift. I attribute this to the hail and the debris that the tornado was carrying interrupting the signal. It was not raining yet, so I doubt that was the cause. I live northeast, the debris/hail was southwest, right in the line of sight. I was thinking that a tractor trailer, vehicle, etc would possibly be thrown into my home and would impact the shelter.

Then it hit me. I live way out in the country and it is very doubtful that something that size would be carried that far. The only thing I really need to worry about is the property across the road and my own two vehicles in the garage. I have looked, but can't find data on how fast these vehicles might be accelerated to, but when they hit 8" of re-enforced concrete after they get through the brick wall/wood, I think they would do minimal damage as they have only gone 10 feet and had no time to accelerate. The saferoom is on a two foot thick slab that sits under the main slab, so I don't think it could be sucked up. Trees would splinter and the rest of the debris would mainly be stuff I wouldn't worry about. I explained this to her and she seemed to show some buy in to my theory.

Then my wife asked me what we would do if we got hit and the house caught on fire and we stuck were in the saferoom.... :D

thoughts?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine hasn't been twister tested yet, but I feel pretty safe with it. Above ground obviously. Door is a boxed frame heavy steel unit with massive hinges (3) and large through frame crossbolts (2). The door frame is fully boxed and the door swings inward, hopefully to aid in egress should debris be blocking the door. I keep a 2# sledge and wrecking bar inside, just in case (along with water, blankets and other essentials to ride it out until rescue). It's vented and heavily bolted to the concrete pad. I think any storm that could suck the door off would probably take the entire unit out. If it's that bad, I'm not sure I'd want to be in an underground shelter with the possibility of drowning or suffocating. The water table at my house would require a pretty heavy weight to keep from floating.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Oiler104

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a picture of the safe room I built. I converted a full bath into a half bath and safe room/pantry. The plans were downloaded from the FEMA website. It is constructed with doubled studs and joists, 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood and a steel skin. The door is 22 inches and not wheelchair accessible also it is not a FEMA approved door it is the same steel door with out the FEMA tag saving over a thousand dollars.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a picture of the safe room I built. I converted a full bath into a half bath and safe room/pantry. The plans were downloaded from the FEMA website. It is constructed with doubled studs and joists, 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood and a steel skin. The door is 22 inches and not wheelchair accessible also it is not a FEMA approved door it is the same steel door with out the FEMA tag saving over a thousand dollars.

How is your shelter attached to the floor slab?

Oiler104

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The total cost excluding the remodel and moving plumbing and slab repair is, and this a guess is 3K. I did most of the labor myself I did have some professional help with the basic framing. The door was $700 and the steel was $900 then the plywood, studs, and a lot of deck screws. The frame is bolted to the slab with all thread set in industrial epoxy per the plans. I was not sure about the epoxy as I had never used it for anything like this however I could not pull the all thread out of the slab with a large wrench when I bolted down the double 2x4 sill plate. If I remember right the steel is 14 gauge and the door is 12 gauge.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wound up building a safe room outside. It is steel rebar reinforced poured floor (6") and roof (4"), with the same rebar running up through hollow concrete block walls which were then filled with high density concrete. The steel door has a primary lock plus 3 seperate keyed dead-bolts.

I built it into a convenient corner. It look like it was there from the beginning. Only drawback is that you have to go outside to get in it, sort of like a cellar.

sf2.jpgsf1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom