Air compressor blows up safety warning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I checked both compressors today. I could not believe how much water came out. I vote that you post this once a month to remind us. :)

Depending on usage and humidity I would drain at least once a week, pick a day and time and make sure to go out and drain it or make a something to hang on the compressor as a reminder to drain weekly.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had one at home growing up and never drained it...never knew you were supposed to do so.....had no problems with it.
.....reason being I grew up in the desert in southern california...." it's a dry heat "

But this is a good and potentially life saving topic...glad to be educated on this!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surely a world traveler like yourself carries a tire gauge in the door pocket.

In fact, I do. I also have a Porter-Cable air compressor. Sadly, the air compressor is in my RV, not here in Indiana with us. I even have one of those 12-volt air compressors, but I don't remember whether it would air up a tire to 80 psi as two of the van's tires require.

And, the company requires us drive teams to have a tire tester. It's just the compressor that I don't have. I worded my original comment wrong. I should have said I needed a compressor to fill the tires, not a tester to test them.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In fact, I do. I also have a Porter-Cable air compressor. Sadly, the air compressor is in my RV, not here in Indiana with us. I even have one of those 12-volt air compressors, but I don't remember whether it would air up a tire to 80 psi as two of the van's tires require.

And, the company requires us drive teams to have a tire tester. It's just the compressor that I don't have. I worded my original comment wrong. I should have said I needed a compressor to fill the tires, not a tester to test them.
Oh yeah! I forgot y'all are working folks again! I hope y'all are enjoying it!

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a smaller portable compressor that I only use on rare occasions. (Read -maybe- once or twice a month)

It has the pep-cock/drain valve at the bottom - as typical.
I just leave the pep-cock valve slightly open, so it's always slowly leaking air. (slight hiss sound, not a lot)
Every time I put away, it naturally drains any moisture as the air pressure bleeds-down.

I did that when I originally bought it, ....about 12 years ago. Still quietly hisses every time I use it, so...

Oh - and I'm glad you're ok. That could have been really bad.

Last edited:

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So - the first few pictures looks like metal fatigue failure - as it looks like beach-marks are present. (fatigue striations, beach marks.)
If so, this failure has been slowing growing for years. (each pressurization is 1 more beach mark)

Can you post a close-up picture of the failure point?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_(material)

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So - the first few pictures looks like metal fatigue failure - as it looks like beach-marks are present. (fatigue striations, beach marks.)
If so, this failure has been slowing growing for years. (each pressurization is 1 more beach mark)

Can you post a close-up picture of the failure point?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_(material)

Right now its hard to get a close up shot as its in a semi dark garage with a hole in the roof and sun light shining, once he finds out what and if insurance covers it and gets it moved out to get a better look at it will see if can get a better close up pics of it, when I do will post them here if I can get more pics of it. I know what I could see the bottom in a big spot looked pretty thin like it was rusting away, othe rhalf of the bottom had thicker metal, I really think lack of not draining lead up to a rusting air tank that was on the verge of going anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom