Aluminum UTV Roof

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was also in a Harbor Freight yesterday and did notice the Badlands winches they had on the shelf. They usually have a coupon floating around so that would bring the price down even more.
The synthetic cables are just easier to use and safer. If you have ever grabbed ahold of a frayed steel cable it can be more than aggravating. But its lighter and easier to drag. Its just like a rope so its easier to bend. But their big claim to fame is if it breaks it just drops dead. It doesnt recoil and try to take your head off like a steel cable. Hooks dont go flying like they do with steel cable if an attachment point breaks. If it does break you can simply tie it in a knot to get you through the day.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was also in a Harbor Freight yesterday and did notice the Badlands winches they had on the shelf. They usually have a coupon floating around so that would bring the price down even more.
The synthetic cables are just easier to use and safer. If you have ever grabbed ahold of a frayed steel cable it can be more than aggravating. But its lighter and easier to drag. Its just like a rope so its easier to bend. But their big claim to fame is if it breaks it just drops dead. It doesnt recoil and try to take your head off like a steel cable. Hooks dont go flying like they do with steel cable if an attachment point breaks. If it does break you can simply tie it in a knot to get you through the day.

All good points. Thanks.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, I bought a Badlands 120V winch (1500lb IIRC?).

Only used it one time to pull a downed tree's limbs from over the house so they'd hit the ground when I cut 'em off. Worked like a champ.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did a little research today on ATV winches.
The Badlands 3500 is around $130 at Harbor Freight and is highly recommended in the reviews. Wireless fob to operate. Much more water resistant than the $70 2500 lb model that a lot of folks buy and then have to replace.
My buddy has a Warn 3000 lb on his Polaris 500 atv. The gears stripped the first time he tried to use it, but it could have been his fault.
He was trying to pull out a UTV, deadman'd his ATV to a tree and let the winch go to max pull before it snapped the gears. I'm pretty sure he overworked it.
Anyway, that Badlands 3500 is looking promising.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a little research today on ATV winches.
The Badlands 3500 is around $130 at Harbor Freight and is highly recommended in the reviews. Wireless fob to operate. Much more water resistant than the $70 2500 lb model that a lot of folks buy and then have to replace.
My buddy has a Warn 3000 lb on his Polaris 500 atv. The gears stripped the first time he tried to use it, but it could have been his fault.
He was trying to pull out a UTV, deadman'd his ATV to a tree and let the winch go to max pull before it snapped the gears. I'm pretty sure he overworked it.
Anyway, that Badlands 3500 is looking promising.

Nobody has had anything good to say about Warn ATV winches in the past 10 years. I would bet they probably have plastic gears which most ATV winches do. I know the Vipers have metal gears. I have no idea if the Badlands have metal or plastic but for that price...
As a side note, dont ever pull with your winch cable with the power of the ATV. In other words dont use it as a tow strap. And dont tie down the front of your ATV to the trailer using the winch. I know it sure makes it a lot easier but the bouncing of the trailer jerking on the winch will also strip the gears.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody has had anything good to say about Warn ATV winches in the past 10 years. I would bet they probably have plastic gears which most ATV winches do. I know the Vipers have metal gears. I have no idea if the Badlands have metal or plastic but for that price...
As a side note, dont ever pull with your winch cable with the power of the ATV. In other words dont use it as a tow strap. And dont tie down the front of your ATV to the trailer using the winch. I know it sure makes it a lot easier but the bouncing of the trailer jerking on the winch will also strip the gears.
I use a Louisiana guard dog Trailer Dog tie down.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ratchet strap is working pretty good so far. I've got a pull down ramp on the back of the trailer. Used to have a expanded metal floor, but just decked it with 5/4 X 6 treated deck boards. This thing is a whole lot heavier than my 3 wheeler X 3.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read that the best method is a wheel bonnet. The bonnet allows the suspension to work on the quad. I really like the trailer dog, I used it for years on my ATV.

Latest posts

Top Bottom